I have Canon FD 85mmF1.8 and Minolta Rokkor 85mmF1.7 MC, both are sharp
wide open and have good bokeh.
I think the Rokkor has a smoother bokeh, like his cousin, the Rokkor
58mmF1.2 that I think you have tested in another post.

I tested the Canon FD 85mm 1.8 against the Nikkor 105 2.5, which has a
great reputation, and the FD is a bit sharper with bokeh equal or better.
Both are great and I use both. I also compared that FD to the Olympus Pen
70mm f2, a very expensive lens. The 70mm is small, which is an attractive
aspect, but the 85mm FD is distinctly sharper and with better bokeh.
canon fd 85mm 1.8

*DOWNLOAD* https://urllio.com/2wHlbT

Choosing a good 85mm portrait lens is very important for a large number of
photographers. I pay a lot of attention to this issue, therefore I have
prepared this list of all such autofocus lenses for full frame cameras with

As you can see from the list on top I have used many portrait lenses. And
this list does not even contain the ones I was using on Nikon cameras
(including AF-S 85mm 1.4G and AF-S 200mm 2.0G VRI).
But of all these the Sony FE 85mm 1.4 GM really stands out to me as it has
an outstanding optical design. The spherical aberration is oh so slightly
undercorrected which leads to an amazingly smooth bokeh rendering which you
rarely see in modern lenses. But unlike many older lenses it is still more
than sharp enough already wide open.

Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 (m42)
Nikkor 85mm f1.8
Nippon kogaku nikkor-p auto 105mm f2.5
Minolta mc Rokkor 100mm f3.5 macro
Canon fdn 135mm f2
MC Carl Zeiss jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 (m42)

what about the Canon FD 85mm 1.8?
Its not the same bargain as the FD 135mm 2.8, but for people on a budget
looking for a 85 its in my opinion a more available and reliable option
compared to the Jupiter9

I know you guys have low bars for Samyang lenses, but Samyang just
announced AF 85mm F1.4 FE. By comparing MTF charts they published(I highly
suspect it is just software calcualtions), its resolution is somewhere
between 50mm F1.4 FE and 135mm F2, of course. I think the problem is FE
85mm F1.8 is a really excellent for budget lens.

However, it is the most refined of all classic Sonnars (those with 7
elements in 3 groups that follow a formula with only 3 air/glass
transitions, and having been perfected for the smoothest rendering of
almost all 85mm, and 8 blades for very smooth creamy bokeh, is
underappreciated by most). It follows the same principle as the Sonnar f1.5
in Contax RF mount.

I has my heart set on the Samyang 85mm f1.4, having seen the results of
another f1.4 Canon lens during a recent portrait photoshoot I attended.
HOWEVER, having read user reviews on Amazon, I have since ruled it out
completely.

That is a very interesting question indeed!
The Summarits were never of interest to me, 90mm 2.0 pre Asph and Loxia
85mm 2.4 I have both used extensively though.
The 90mm 2.0 surely has more blur thanks to faster max. aperture and
slightly longer focal length,
the Loxia 85mm 2.4 is slightly smoother with more challenging backgrounds.
The reasons I switched out my copy of the 90mm 2.0 for a Loxia 85mm 2.4 are
that the Leica had a pretty strong color cast at maximum aperture which
made editing a bit more bothersome and that the Loxia is significantly
better at closer distances.

Thank you aSevenArr - I too have been mainlining YouTube reviews of
different 85mm lenses, and also tutorials of how to use 85mms generally for
different purposes. It is a very versatile focal length!

I would absolutely save up and buy the FE 85mm F1.8. I have used the Canon
FD, and it is great for the money, but 85mm is something you are going to
use regularly the rest of your life, and having all of the autofocus
features (especially things like eye-af) is going to pay huge dividends
going into the future. It is seriously difficult to nail focus on the eye
with the Canon FD lens, if your subject is moving at all, forget about it.

This is a complete set of 1970s Canon FD primes rehoused by TLS. By now the
secret is out that Canon FD lenses are a perfect fit for cinematography,
especially Full Frame cinematography. The 24mm f1.4, 55mm f1.2, and 85mm
f1.2 aspherical lenses are siblings of the legendary K35s. So whether you
are lookingfor a more affordable option to K35s, or you need additional
focal lengths to compliment our K35s, these are a perfect choice. The
housings are exactly the same as the housings for our K35s, so they will
integrate seamlessly.

TLSis now replacing the original 8-blade irises with new 16-blade irises.
So not only does your bokeh stay circular when stopped down, they also make
the set more consistent from lens to lens. In the original FDs the 8-blade
iris gives your bokeh a stop-sign shape to pin-point highlights.

Most of the set consists of the oldest, and much sought after SSC versions
of each lens. The lenses were hand-picked by us for optical quality but
also to insure the set matches from lens to lens. There are MANY versions
of the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm/55mm for example. We have the knowledge to know
not only which lenses produce the most beautiful look, but also which
lenses make the most sense for acomplete set.

The 18mm T1.5 and 35mm T1.6 in our set are part of our new FD-X lenses (the
X meaning eXtended), which are additional focal lengths we havedeveloped
with TLS to fill in some of the gaps in the original FD lineup. Since only
the 24mm, 55mm, and 85mm were available in high-speed aspherical versions,
we wanted to fill out these amazing lenses with focal lengths that match
their look and performance.

The 18mm is our ownoptical recipe, and you will not find this lens anywhere
else in the world. The lens consists of genuine 1970s Canon FD elements,
with some additional optics toused to create a high speed, aspherical,
vintage lens, that covers Full Frame sensors, even RED Monstro. The 35mm is
a Minolta lens from the 1980s. It's also a Japanese-made, aspherical lens,
with performance, bokeh, and flare character very similar to the 24mm,
55mm, and 85mm FDs.

We offer these lens as an option to the slower Canon FD 20mm T2.9 and 35mm
T2.2. For the purist, the original Canon FDs might be better. But if you
need a faster lens that better matches the other high speed lenses in the
set, the FD-X lenses are a great option. With these two FD-X primes, you
have a complete set of vintage, high-speed, full frame lenses, in a very
complete set: 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, 55mm, 85mm.

We also have a Canon FD 300mm f2.8, converted to PL mount by Century
Precision Optics. Century also replaced the original 9-blade iris for
an18-blade iris, for perfectly round bokeh at any stop. All the lenses have
Full Frame coverage.

I recently bought a used Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L Lens and did not realize it
would not fit on my canon 60D. Is there some sort of adapter that I can
purchase to make this lense compatible with my camera?

Thank you for the link. I spend $800 with shipping for the lense. I don't
want to go to far over that price. It does NOT have to be the 85mm and
f/1.2 - I want a lense that lets lots of light in for better indoor shots
and a nice bokeh and this lense was recommended to me for that purpose. I'm
up for suggestions.

With its pleasing perspective, the 85mm has long been considered an ideal
focal length for portraiture where depth of field plays an important role.
Thus stress was placed on enhancing this lens' full aperture capabilities.
As a result, coma is held to a minimum and astigmatism is rigidly corrected
giving the image a pleasing soft-focus effect around the edges at large
apertures. Sharpness increases at smaller apertures to produce overall
crisp results. Another attractive feature of this lens is that it promises
high quality images even at its closest focusing distance of 0.85 meter.

The outstanding reputation of the FD 85mm f1.8 S.S.C. lens will be even
further enhanced by its New FD Series replacement which is even smaller and
lighter while maintaining the identical optical system as its predecessor.
Quite a few photographers use this lens as their normal lens, because of
its high speed, close focusing and very natural perspective (the same as
the human eye). It is ideal for news, general photography and portraiture.
In size, it is hardly larger than the standard FD 50mm f1.4. Minimum
shooting distance and aperture have been reduced for greater operational
flexibility.

Prized for portraiture, the *EF 85mm f/1.8 USM* from *Canon* is a
short-telephoto prime characterized by its slightly compressed perspective
for achieving flattering results. Its bright f/1.8 maximum aperture also
enables isolating subjects and working with shallow depth of field
techniques, and further benefits working in low-light conditions. Helping
to achieve high color fidelity and contrast, a Super Spectra coating has
been applied to individual elements and serves to minimize reflections,
lens flare and ghosting. Additionally, a ring-type USM is employed to
deliver quick and quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual
focus control.
eebf2c3492