On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Ricardo Signes
<perl....@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> It's hard to judge this without the context in which you're considering it.
> The GH issue to which you linked is largely context-free.

The context is that MetaCPAN's '/pod' endpoint is currently using
Pod::POM for this purpose (i.e., returning the POD associated with a
given module). Pod::POM does not return the =encoding line from the
POD. Pod::POM also seems to be effectively abandoned, based on its
rt.cpan.org queue and lack of recent releases. Finally, cpan-api
already depends on Pod::Simple::XHTML, so making it possible for
Pod::Simple to do this would eliminate one dependency there as well as
fix bugs caused by the =encoding line being dropped.

Further deep background: I found this bug when I ran 'cpandoc
utf8::all' when utf8::all was not installed. I noticed a POD encoding
error in the output (the utf8::all SYNOPSIS includes some Unicode
glyphs and there was apparently no =encoding line present). I reported
a bug there, discovered that utf8::all _was_ setting an =encoding
properly, chased it back through Pod::Cpandoc, to MetaCPAN/cpan-api,
and finally to Pod::POM -- where I found two open tickets about the
same issue.  Subsequent discussion on #metacpan lead to the suggestion
of implementing something in Pod::Simple. So, here I am, with this
lovely pile of yak hair and the first 80% of Pod::Simple::Pod. (I
agree about the name suggestion, thanks.)

Anyway, hopefully that helps people better understand what I'm trying
to do here, or at least makes somebody smile ruefully.

chrs,
john.