On 05/22/2018 07:18 PM, Dan Muey wrote:
Greetings!

Per Karl Williamson’s request[1] before he makes any changes we’d like to run
the idea past you all and get your feedback:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlpodspec.html says about Z<>:

“This code is unusual is that it should have no content. That is, a processor may
complain if it sees Z<potatoes> . Whether or not it complains, the potatoes
text should ignored.”

Z<potatoes> seems to fit under warnings (i.e. “may complain” not “should
explode”) better because it “may not necessarily cause trouble, but indicate mediocre
style.”

I have an edge case where I essentially need inline comments in POD for some parser
notation (https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=98322) and the only option
ATM is “mediocre style” of hacking Z<>.

Or, if not by default, can we have a way, a flag maybe, to ignore certain
errors that we grok and are OK with?

Alternatively, a way to inhibit 'POD ERRORS' section from being rendered as
part of the POD (e.g. send it to STDERR).

A fourth option would be to add a specific inline-comment formatter so you could
#<potatoes> without error and without hacking Z<>. (it would be like Z<> but
barf if it was empty)

After the RT discussion “making non-empty Z<> merely warn” seems OK, we just
wanted it to be discussed here first. Thanks!

—
Dan Muey

[1] https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=98326#txn-1787110

Perhaps this was added after you filed your ticket:

"$parser->complain_stderr( SOMEVALUE )"
         If you set this attribute to a true value, it will send reports of
* parsing errors to STDERR. By default, this attribute's value is false,
*        meaning that no output is sent to STDERR.

*        Setting "complain_stderr" also sets "no_errata_section".

Please try that and see if it is sufficient to solve your issue