> I think you may be assuming there would be some special handling of P<> in
> a paragraph by itself as distinct from P<> in a paragraph with surrounding
> text, but if so I think that would be the first place in POD where a
> formatting code is handled differently based on its surrounding context.

Yes, that's correct.

> I'm not sure that's a good precedent to set.

Do think that DWIM magic is too strong here?

> complexity that makes implementation a bit harder.  Plus, the author may
> have intended to have a paragraph consisting only of an emoji and would be
> quite surprised if that emoji turned into a figure!

That can be fixed by adding a Z<>, but you have a point.

> My preference is therefore for some method of markup that would make it
> explicit whether the image is intended to be inline or set off in a
> figure, because these are going to require different handling in a lot of
> output formats.

Nothing wrong with that, but that makes the syntax overburdened and less
elegant.
If comes to this, I would rather skip that different handling altogether,
sacrificing
either figure or inline image, for the sake of keeping P<> syntax
straighforward.

> (Also, and I realize this was only an example, but I would not use images
> to show mathematical formulas.  For HTML output, MathJax would produce
> much better results.  That's a different topic of discussion, though, and
> I'm not volunteering to implement eqn support in Pod::Man....)

I had only formulas examples in mind, so if that's the case, I'm willing to
give up the inline support.

--
Sincerely,
        Dmitry Karasik