On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 6:22 PM Russ Allbery <ea...@eyrie.org> wrote:

> I wanted to provide some advance notice that I plan to increase the
> minimum Perl dependency for podlators (Pod::Man and Pod::Text) to 5.12
> from 5.10 in the next release.

Sounds good to me; I appreciate the heads up!

It's worth noting that at last year's Perl Toolchain Summit (PTS) there was
a consensus agreement to raise the maximum-minimum required Perl version to
5.16 (that is, critical toolchain modules MAY raise their minimum version
requirements to as high as 5.16, but will not do so arbitrarily), and this
value will be raised to 5.20 after the release of Perl 5.40 a few months
from now. (ref: https://rjbs.cloud/blog/2023/05/pts-2023-lyon-amendment-2-5/
)

...My goal is to eventually get to at least Perl 5.24 so that I can use
> postfix dereferencing.

For the 'postderef' feature (and for sub signatures too, my other favourite
and oft-used feature), 5.20 should be sufficient for most things; you may
want to consider stopping there for a bit.