On Thu, 2018-02-22 at 12:41 +0100, Francesco Pretto wrote:
> Currently the API support setting annotation appearance only from
> PdfXObject. This is arbitrarily limiting the API: the appearance can
> be set from a generic PdfObject.

        Hi,
the above statement is wrong, because PDF 32000-1:2008 chapter 12.5.5
Appearance Streams claims:

   Each appearance stream is a form XObject (see 8.10, “Form
   XObjects”): a self-contained content stream that shall be rendered
   inside the annotation rectangle.

Thus I'm against this API change. It's better the API reflects what is
possible.

That means only the 3rd patch is usable from this series.
        Bye,
        zyx