On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:49:53AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Rocco> POE still ships with about 200K of samples, and it will continue to
> Rocco> until they're replaced by cookbook recipes or tutorials.  The plans
> Rocco> have been on display for months at
> Rocco> http://poe.perl.org/?POE_RFCs/Deprecate_Sample_Program
>
> I've read that, and disagree.  Even if you have only a few dozen
> examples in the distro, you should consider the person who is on an
> expensive connection, or gets the CPAN via sneakernet.
>
> Don't remove all examples from the distro.  At 30K feet, they were
> very helpful for me while I was trying to write code, but couldn't get
> to the website.  Or maybe make a simple "one-stop-download" link on
> the website.

Ug!  I got the URL wrong; it's really
http://poe.perl.org/?POE_RFCs/Deprecate_Sample_Programs <-- with the S

Added to the plan:

  At some point, the cookbook and possibly the tutorials should be
  bundled into CPAN distributions.  Perhaps POE::Tutorials or
  POE::Examples, so the low-tech and high-altitude crowds can access
  them away from a proper internet.  How we maintain both at once is
  an interesting exercise, and ideas are welcome.

--
Rocco Caputo - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://poe.perl.org/