If CLIENTS held Client objects, you could avoid passing $client_id to everything. process_client_command() could be a Client method, as generate_response(). Perhaps:

sub handle_requests {
  my $c = shift;
  my $mud_client = get_mud_client($c);

  $mud_client->start() if (
    not $client->error()
    and not $client->connected()
  );

  $mud_client->process_command($c);
  $mud_client->get_response($c);
}

Since it's working, I recommend making a lot of connections through it to see whether it leaks memory. Try to get some concurrency going on the server side. See how the proxy handles server downtime.

Here's a simple concurrent server to get you started:

use POE qw(Component::Server::TCP);
POE::Component::Server::TCP->new(
  Port => 9000,
  ClientConnected => sub {
    $_[HEAP]{client}->put("hi!");
  },
  ClientInput => sub {
    $_[HEAP]{client}->put("you said: $_[ARG0]");
  },
);

POE::Kernel->run();
exit;