On May 29, 2009, at 04:48, Ed W wrote:

Rocco Caputo wrote:

The best way to break an application into POE entities is not to. Decompose the application into entities and relationships that make sense for the application. Determine the requirements first, then apply POE to fulfill them.

OK, to be specific, the heart of it is a proxy server, which seems to be fulfilled by using protocol X client wheel talking to protocol X server wheel? The bits I guess I am most interested in are:

- How I might architect the POP server client to be one step removed from the socket and have the following pipeline attached to the socket: data_in -> decompress -> parse input data into separate protocols and feed to correct wheel. Is this another wheel, or done as a filter? (or something else?)

I might implement this in application code until I knew the requirements and constraints on the data_in -> decompress -> parse flow. As those emerged (or were specified), I might refactor the generic transformative bits into their own modules. The most significant trade-off seems to be whether reusability or throughput is more important. If reusability: I would refactor the transformative code into POE::Filter, POE::Driver and/or POE::Wheel namespaces. If throughput, I would evaluate whether custom object APIs fit the application better.

- Same for the output. ie taking the output of multiple wheels, compressing the output and then blocking it into a simple protocol to multiplex over a single TCP connection (just data packet with a header on it)

Funneling would be done by a component (aka "a module that uses POE"). There seems to be a lot of decision logic and the possibility that the funnel will respond to individual clients. Something higher level must be responsible for the side effects since POE::Filter and POE::Wheel::ReadWrite are strictly transformative.

- The main reason for looking at POE is that while it's mostly a pipeline, occasionally one distinct bit of the app needs to talk to another distinct bit, eg some remote end hangs up suddenly, the client end may not be expecting this as part of it's normal protocol and we need to wake it up and force it to terminate the other side of the proxy. Any special features of POE which would be especially helpful here?

It sounds like you want the client and server sides of the proxy to be loosely coupled. For instance, the remote end may hang up suddenly at the end of a message, but the local end may still be receiving. You might want to wait for the local end to finish before shutting down the connection.

POE can help accomplish this by making it easier to decouple the client and server sides of the proxy. The proxy behavior is then goverend by the message protocol you define between the client and server, rather than by the particular protocols on either end.

Recently I've seen POE used to proxy between stateless HTTP and a stateful game. The idea seems similar. It allows an HTTP client to come and go, but it keeps the game connected. It adapts the two by tracking the game's state in the proxy, then updating the user when they refresh the page.

POE doesn't have a component for mapping client and server sides of proxies. If you write one, I hope you can release it.

--
Rocco Caputo - rcap...@pobox.com