>Instead someone should fix the bugs.

Well, yes, that is ideal.. but if that doesnt happen, then you are left
with the possibility that regressions get into the codebase when people
cant answer "Do all tests that are SUPPOSED TO PASS, continue to pass
after my fix?"

And we've seen that happen to POI in the last year that we've had
breakage in HEAD.. it really affects development velocity when you cant
answer the above question confidently!

I've tried to find a middle path in the current build.xml that i just
checked in .

Regards
-
Avik