Okay, lets start from the top:

1. Do you have logging on -- POI's logging facillities are intended only
for autopsies?
2. What is your VM memory set at?
3. Are you sure you're not running in swap memory?

For reference, I ran:

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/javadocs/javasrc/org/apache/poi/hssf/dev/HSSF_java.html#HSSF

as follows:

$ java org.apache.poi.hssf.dev.HSSF ".\test.xls" write
Write mode
1762 ms generation time

-- It writes 300 rows of 50 cells, styled, etc.

This is on a PIII laptop, jdk 1.3.1_02 and ~768mb and a recent nightly
build of POI.  (Notice this test
runs in the default heapsize.) --  Please try this test and let me know
your results.

-Andy

-andy