Fine.  I'll try to make this as obvious as I can.  Please supply patches
to the documentation that would make this more
obvious to you.

cd /tmp
unzip ~/jakarta-poi-1.7.0-dev-bin.zip
export CLASSPATH=/tmp/build/jakarta-poi-1.7.0-dev-20020624.jar

if you need logging, scratchpad, examples, contrib components then
you'll need the scratchpad, examples, contrib, etc stuff
as well.