Politechnicals may remember that Attorney General Ashcroft personally
approved my subpoena in the Jim Bell case. Federal prosecutor Robb London
threatened to subpoena other reporters writing about developments in U.S.
v. Bell (such as interviewing the defendant) in an apparent and
reprehensible attempt to dissuade them from covering the trial. Background:
http://www.mccullagh.org/subpoena/

Other coverage of this case:
http://www.rcfp.org/news/2001/0725inregr.html

Excerpt from USA Today article:
>The hearing was closed to the public at the government's request. The
>transcript remains sealed. Even the name of the judge who sentenced her
>for contempt of court has not been made public.

---

Declan,
I thought that the politech mailing list would be interested in this. If
you have already discussed please disregard.
Also please keep this mailbox anon if you post it.
Thanks for your great work!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washdc/july01/2001-07-27-ashcroft-journalists-usat.htm