[Andrew Sullivan was one of the biggest cheerleaders for the Iraq War.  The current version of the Republican Party, which is dominated by Judeo-Christian fascists and fundies, is gradually alienating a large majority of Americans all across the political spectrum.  They are too fanatical and too stupid to comprehend the consequences of their words and actions.]

SHE CALLED MURTHA A COWARD: Republican Congresswoman Jean Smith called Jack Murtha a coward this afternoon, unworthy of the Marines, on the House floor. Money quote:
The fiery, emotional debate climaxed when Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, the most junior member of the House, told of a phone call she received from a Marine colonel. "He asked me to send Congress a message - stay the course. He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message - that cowards cut and run, Marines never do," Schmidt said.
She later withdrew her remarks from the record. But those words linger as a reminder of what these Republicans have become. For the record: Murtha served 37 years in the Marines, and has Purple Hearts to his name. He visits wounded soldiers at Walter Reed every week. Three years ago, he won the Semper Fidelis Award of the Marine Corps Foundation, the highest honor the Marines can confer. Every time you think these Republicans can sink no lower, even after their vile smears against Kerry's service last year, they keep going. They make me sick to my stomach.

- 6:48:00 PM

Search the archives for political-research at http://www.terazen.com/