Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: Do We Live in a Giant
Cosmic Bubble? via KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News on
10/1/08 Earth may be trapped in an abnormal bubble of space-time that
is particularly void of matter, which could account for the apparent
acceleration of the universe's expansion, not dark energy. Matter warps
space-time. Light travelling from supernovae outside our bubble would
appear dimmer, because the light would diverge more than we would
expect once it got inside our void. Oxford researchers Pedro G.
Ferreira and Kate Land say that the upcoming Joint Dark Energy Mission,
planned by NASA and the U.S. Department of Energy to launch in 2014 or
2015, may be able to distinguish between dark energy and the void. The
satellite aims to measure the expansion of the universe precisely by
observing about 2,300 supernovae. They suggest that by looking at a
large number of supernovae in a certain region of the universe, they
should be able to tell whether the objects are really accelerating
away, or if their light is merely being distorted in a void. (Source:
http://www.livescience.com/space/080930-st-universe-void.html)
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News using
Google Reader
favorite sites