Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: The death of GOP
electoral tactics on the war via Salon: Glenn Greenwald by Glenn
Greenwald on 10/3/08
Back in March, The Politico published an article -- reflecting
conventional wisdom at the time (needless to say) -- which declared
that the Iraq War would be a winning issue for . . . John McCain and
the Republicans. The article, by David Paul Kuhn, claimed that public
support for the war was surging; that this "promises to reshape the
political landscape"; that "Democrats' resolute support for the
withdrawal of U.S. combat forces may soon position them at odds with
independent voters, in particular, a constituency they need to retake
the White House"; that "the steady upturn in the public mood [about the
war] stands to alter the dynamics of races up and down the ballot"; and
that "no candidate stands to gain more than McCain."

The article quoted Michael O'Hanlon who, with characteristic insight
and prescience, bolstered the storyline:How could Democrats possibly
hand McCain a better issue than to let him run on his record of
advocating a robust U.S. presence in Iraq with all the positive
battlefield news that is filtering out of that country? . . .Thinking
about where we were at the time of the congressional elections, it's
ironic that the Iraq issue could actually be the one that most favors
the Republican and most other issues -- including most foreign policy
issues -- could most favor the DemocratsAs I noted at the time, those
claims had no basis in reality. After last week's McCain-Obama debate
and now last night's Biden-Palin debate, one thing is now crystal
clear: in proclaiming that Americans would once again Love the War and
it would become a winning issue for McCain and the GOP, The Politico
and O'Hanlon were as wrong as usual.

After the presidential debate last week, GOP pollster Frank Luntz said
on Fox that, among undecided voters, Obama's strongest moments and
McCain's weakest came when they clashed on Iraq, and later said that it
is simply impossible for the GOP to win any debate on Iraq. Last night,
GOP strategist Alex Castellanos on CNN said after the debate: "You
know, Republicans aren't going to win debates on Iraq. I don't care who
you put on that stage tonight, we're not going to win debates on Iraq,
and we didn't tonight." And most notably, the best reaction Biden
produced from the CBS focus group was when he demanded withdrawal from
Iraq, and the worst reaction Sarah Palin produced was when she then
spat out her tired right-wing slogan that Obama's withdrawal "plan is a
white flag of surrender in Iraq":

As Kos diarist Al Rodgers (who produced the images above) said about
Palin's "white flag/surrender" insult: "it CRASHED like Monday's stock
market, PLUMMETING 35 points." And the CNN and CBS snap polls showing
Biden with a decisive win add further support for that view.

What is most notable about all of this is the broader point: there is a
belief across the ideological spectrum (which I believe is wrong) that
the Iraq disaster hasn't changed the way that Americans think about war
and foreign policy generally, but rather, merely reflects the
long-standing fact that Americans only dislike wars that the U.S. is
losing. At least now, this is plainly untrue. Many Americans have
become convinced by the silly though widespread claim that the Surge
Has Worked and that we are now "winning" in Iraq. But -- as I've
documented many times, and as is still true -- increased perceptions of
stability and even "victory" in Iraq have had very little effect on how
Americans perceive of the wisdom of the war and, most importantly,
whether we should withdraw.

As that polling data conclusively shows, despite the increase in the
perception of "victory," Americans favor a timetable for withdrawal
almost as much as they did last year. Americans hate the war every bit
as much, view it as a mistake just the same, and thus -- as even GOP
strategists recognize -- the Iraq War is an absolute losing issue for
the Republicans. And Obama's large and growing lead -- despite
(really: "because of") his smart refusal to take Mike O'Hanlon's
year-long advice to abandon his withdrawal plan for Iraq -- speaks for
itself.

It's an important development that Sarah Palin's snide invocation of
the old and previously effective GOP war-monger canard -- that opposing
the continuation of a war is to "wave the white flag of surrender" --
blew up right in her face. It's even more important that Americans
continue vehemently to oppose a war despite the increased perception
that the U.S. is "winning", and continue to believe the war was a grave
mistake and are demanding its unconditional end. That reflects a sea
change in how war generally is perceived. And most of all, despite the
best self-serving efforts of the pro-war political establishment all
year long to impose on Americans a belief that they plainly do not hold
-- namely, that the Iraq War is now popular again and should be
continued and that the war will therefore help the GOP -- it is still a
heavy, potentially fatal, anvil around the neck of John McCain and the
entire GOP apparatus.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Salon: Glenn Greenwald using Google Reader
favorite sites