Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: Harvard Medical School
used Kindles to deliver course documents via TeleRead: Bring the
E-Books Home by Paul Biba on 10/15/08
Now we begin to see the power of not only ebooks, but that of a
connected ereader. This makes it all the more important that Sony get
its wireless version of the ereader on line.

John D. Halamka, MD, MS, is Chief Information Officer of the CareGroup
Health System, Chief Information Officer and Dean for Technology at
Harvard Medical School, Chairman of the New England Health Electronic
Data Interchange Network (NEHEN), CEO of MA-SHARE (the Regional Health
Information Organization), Chair of the US Healthcare Information
Technology Standards Panel (HITSP), and a practicing Emergency
Physician. He has a blog called “Life as a Healthcare CIO” and his
latest post describes using the Kindle to deliver course documents at
the School. He goes on to say:

We’ve recently implemented Kindle support for all our 20,000
educational resources at HMS.

Our integration on the Mycourses educational website enables any Word
or PDF document to be delivered to the Kindle wirelessly. There is a
cost which is clearly explained to the user (10 cents per document to
Amazon). Those that don’t want to pay the 10 cents can download
documents to their PC and transfer the documents via USB cable. Once
the user enters their Kindle account into the MyCourses Kindle setup
page (accessible via our resources page or the GoMobile page), any
resource which can be sent to the device has a little icon and label
“My Kindle” which when clicked sends the resource to the Kindle. It
does this by sending the document to the Amazon account via email
attachment which then gets converted into Kindles’s specific format and
delivered to the device using Sprint’s Whispernet.

HMS is the first Medical School to offer such a green alternative to
all of their compatible resources to be downloaded directly to an
eBook. At some point it would be nice to bypass the 10 cent fee with
some utility that allows us to send to the device, but it’s a
reasonable cost when you consider that Sprint is giving Kindle users
free internet.

We’re rolling this out by giving a few students free Kindles to pilot
the new Mycourses functionality.

I’ll report back how it goes. Since we spend $50,000 a year on paper
for printing course documents, I hope it is successful!

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to TeleRead: Bring the E-Books Home using Google Reader
favorite sites