National Security Archive Update, December 23, 2008

"We can bomb the  bejesus out of them all over North Vietnam."

Archive Publishes Treasure  Trove of Kissinger Telephone Conversations

Comprehensive Collection of  Kissinger "Telcons" Provides Inside View of
Government  Decision-Making;

Reveals Candid talks with Presidents, Foreign Leaders,  Journalists, and
Power-brokers during Nixon-Ford Years

For more  information contact:
William Burr/Thomas Blanton - 202/994-7000

_http://www.nsarchive.org_ (http://www.nsarchive.org)

Washington, DC, December 23, 2008 - Amidst a massive bombing  campaign over
North Vietnam, Henry Kissinger and Richard Nixon candidly shared  their evident
satisfaction at the "shock treatment" of American B-52s, according  to a
declassified transcript of their telephone conversation published for the
first
time today by the National Security Archive. "They dropped a million  pounds of
bombs," Kissinger briefed Nixon. "A million pounds of bombs," Nixon
exclaimed. "Goddamn, that must have been a good strike." The conversation,
secretly
recorded by both Kissinger and Nixon without the other's knowledge,  reveals
that the President and his national security advisor shared a belief in  1972
that the war could still be won. "That shock treatment [is] cracking them,"
Nixon declared. "I tell you the thing to do is pour it in there every place we
can... just bomb the hell out of them." Kissinger optimistically predicted
that,  if the South Vietnamese government didn't collapse, the U.S. would
eventually  prevail: "I mean if as a country we keep our nerves, we are going
to make
it."

The transcript of the April 15, 1972, phone conversation is one of  over
15,500 documents in a unique, comprehensively-indexed set of the telephone
conversations (telcons) of Henry A. Kissinger--perhaps the most famous and
controversial U.S. official of the second half of the 20th century. Unbeknownst
the rest of the U.S. government, Kissinger secretly taped his incoming and
outgoing phone conversations and had his secretary transcribe them. After
destroying the tapes, Kissinger took the transcripts with him when he left
office in
January 1977, claiming they were "private papers." In 2001, the  National
Security Archive initiated legal proceedings to force the government to
recover
the telcons, and used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain the  declassif
ication of most of them. After a three-year project to catalogue and  index the
transcripts, which total over 30,000 pages, this on-line collection  was
published by the Digital National Security Archive (ProQuest) this  week.

Kissinger never intended these papers to be made public, according  to
William Burr, senior analyst at the National Security Archive, who edited the
collection, Kissinger Telephone Conversations: A Verbatim Record of U.S.
Diplomacy, 1969-1977. "Kissinger's conversations with the most influential
personalities of the world rank right up there with the Nixon tapes as the most
 candid,
revealing and valuable trove of records on the exercise of executive  power in
Washington," Burr stated. For reporters, scholars, and students, Burr  noted,
"Kissinger created a gift to history that will be a tremendous primary
source for generations to come." He called on the State Department to
declassify
over 800 additional telcons that it continues to withhold on the grounds of
executive privilege.

The documents shed light on every aspect of  Nixon-Ford diplomacy, including
U.S.-Soviet détente, the wars in Southeast Asia,  the 1969 Biafra crisis, the
1971 South Asian crisis, the October 1973 Middle  East War, and the 1974
Cyprus Crisis, among many other developments. Kissinger's  dozens of
interlocutors
include political and policy figures, such as Presidents  Nixon and Ford,
Secretary of State William Rogers, Governor Nelson Rockefeller,  Robert S.
McNamara, and Soviet Ambassador Anatoli Dobrynin; journalists and  publishers,
such
as Ted Koppel, James Reston, and Katherine Graham; and such  show business
friends as Frank Sinatra. Besides the telcons, the Kissinger  Telephone
Conversations: A Verbatim Record of U.S. Diplomacy, 1969-1977 includes  audio
tape of
Kissinger's telephone conversations with Richard Nixon that were  recorded
automatically by the secret White House taping system, some of which
Kissinger's
aides were unable to transcribe.

Visit the Web site of the  National Security Archive for more information.

_http://www.nsarchive.org_ (http://www.nsarchive.org)

THE  NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research
institute  and library located at The George Washington University in
Washington, D.C. The  Archive collects and publishes declassified documents
acquired
through the  Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public charity,
the
Archive  receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is supported by
publication  royalties and donations from foundations and individuals.

Peace, Hugs, and Purrs,
Carolyn Rose  Goyda
Missouri, USA
_rosego...@aol.com_ (mailto:rosego...@aol.com)