Bush Provokes Fear to Push for Bailout
http://www.truthout.org/100408Y
Dean Baker, The Center for Economic and Policy Research: "This is the
first time in the history of the United States that the president has
sought to provoke a financial panic to get legislation through
Congress. While this has proven to be a successful political strategy,
it marks yet another low point in American politics. It was incredibly
irresponsible for President Bush to tell the American people on
national television that the country could be facing another Great
Depression. By contrast, when we actually were in the Great
Depression, President Roosevelt said that, 'we have nothing to fear,
but fear itself.'"