- First Jewish Secretary of State
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_State>: Henry
   Kissinger <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger> (1973)
   - First Jewish female mayor of a major American city (San Francisco
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco>): Dianne Feinstein
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianne_Feinstein> (1977)
   - First Jewish female governor: Madeleine M. Kunin
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_M._Kunin> (1985)
   - First Jewish openly gay member of the U.S. Congress
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress>/U.S. House of
   Representatives
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives>:
Barney
   Frank <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Frank> (took office 1981,
   disclosed homosexuality 1989)
   - First senate election in which both major party candidates were
   Jewish. (1990 Minnesota U.S. Senate Election

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Minnesota,_1990>)

   (1990)
   - First independent Jewish member of the U.S. Congress
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress>/U.S. House of
   Representatives
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives>:
Bernie
   Sanders <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sanders> (1991)
   - First Jewish female members of the United States Senate
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate>: Barbara Boxer
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Boxer> and Dianne Feinstein
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianne_Feinstein> (1993)
   - First Jewish female Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States>: Ruth
   Bader Ginsburg <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg> (1993)
   - First Jewish nominee for Vice President of the United States
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States> on a
   major party ticket, and first Jewish candidate to receive an electoral vote
   excluding faithless electors: Joe Lieberman
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lieberman> (2000)
   - First Jewish elected official representing large constituency to serve
   past ninety years of age: David Cohen
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cohen_%28politician%29> (2004)
   - First Jewish whip

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_whips_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives>

   in the U.S. House of Representatives
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives>: Eric
   Cantor <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Cantor> (2009) (also first
   Jewish party whip in either house)
   - First openly gay Jewish Congressman to be openly gay upon first
   election: Jared Polis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Polis> (2009)
   - Number of Jewish Senators rises from thirteen to fifteen (15% of all
   American Senators vs. approx. 2% of the general population) (2009)
   - First Jewish floor leader

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_leaders_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives>

   in the U.S. House of Representatives
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives>: Eric
   Cantor <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Cantor> (2011) (also first
   Jewish floor leader and Majority Leader in either house)
   - First Jewish mayor of minority descent: Eric Garcetti
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Garcetti>, elected mayor of Los
   Angeles <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles> (2013)
   - First Jewish female Cabinet
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Cabinet> member/United
   States Secretary of Commerce
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Commerce>: Penny
   Pritzker <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Pritzker> (2013)
   - First Jewish American to win a U.S. presidential primary: Bernie
   Sanders <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sanders>, New Hampshire
   primary, (2016)[1]

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_political_milestones_in_the_United_States#cite_note-1>
   [2]

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_political_milestones_in_the_United_States#cite_note-NYT02916-2>
   [3]

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_political_milestones_in_the_United_States#cite_note-3>
   [4]

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_political_milestones_in_the_United_States#cite_note-4>

   (Barry Goldwater <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater>, the
   1964 Republican presidential nominee, was the first winner of Jewish
   heritage, but was a Christian).[5]

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_political_milestones_in_the_United_States#cite_note-5>