A grand jury in Harris County, Texas, voted to indict in a state
investigation of Planned Parenthood. But it didn't indict the reproductive
rights organization. In an unexpected turn, the grand jury indicted two
anti-abortion activists
<http://www.npr.org/2016/01/26/464469813/anti-abortion-activists-indicted-on-felony-charges-in-planned-parenthood-case>

from the Center for Medical Progress. That is the organization that
famously last year released videos that it said depicted Planned Parenthood
illegally trying to sell fetal body parts.

The videos served as a major rallying point for Americans opposed to
abortion. They fueled a threat to shut down the government as well as a
push in several states to cut funding to Planned Parenthood.

They also inspired a wave of investigations. After the videos' release last
summer, a number of states quickly decided to look into whether the tissue
sale the videos purported to show was happening within their borders.

Despite all the worry, state investigations have yet to find any evidence
that Planned Parenthood was selling or profiting off fetal tissue. Twelve
states have completed investigations into Planned Parenthood following the
videos' release, according to the organization.

Here's what happened in each of those cases:

*Florida *

In July 2015, Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott ordered a state
investigation to see whether Planned Parenthood was "selling body parts,"
Politico
Florida reported
<http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/florida/2015/07/8573275/fla-regulators-investigate-planned-parenthood-clinics>

at the time. On Aug. 5, the agency investigating the clinics released its
findings, saying that none of the state's Planned Parenthood sites had been
<http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/state-releases-planned-parenthood-investigation-results-121069>

selling tissue or body parts. However, the investigation did find that one
clinic out of Florida's 16 wasn't correctly keeping its records of fetal
remains. In addition, three were found to have been performing
second-trimester abortions while only being licensed to perform abortions
in the first trimester, according to Politico
<http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/state-releases-planned-parenthood-investigation-results-121069>.

Planned Parenthood disputed this, arguing that the state had changed the
rules on how it measured the first trimester, as Reuters reported.
<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-plannedparenthood-florida-idUSKCN0QO2AW20150819>

Though it briefly looked like the state and Planned Parenthood agreed on
the issue, Politico reported, the organization was fined in September 2015
<http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/florida/2015/09/8576033/state-fines-three-planned-parenthood-clinics>
.

*Georgia*

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal on July 16, 2015
<https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releases/2015-07-16/deal-orders-review-planned-parenthood-clinics>,

asked the state's Departments of Community Health and Public Health to
investigate whether Planned Parenthood was engaging in the "horrific
practice" that the CMP's videos claimed to depict. On Aug. 13, the
Department of Public Health reported that all five of the clinics had
"proper procedures in place for burial or internment of [fetal] remains,"
as NPR member station WABE
<http://news.wabe.org/post/ga-investigation-finds-planned-parenthood-follows-state-law>

reported.

*Indiana*

In July 2015, Republican Gov. Mike Pence asked
<http://www.wthr.com/story/29564848/gov-pence-announces-planned-parenthood-investigation>

the state Department of Health to investigate the state's Planned
Parenthood clinics, to see whether they were engaging in any sale of fetal
tissue, local TV station WTHR reported. Weeks later, the department said it
had "concluded there was no evidence of this type of activity" at three
Planned Parenthood facilities in the state, as the Indianapolis Star
reported
<http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/07/30/health-department-ends-planned-parenthood-investigation/30874971/>
.

*Kansas*

On July 21, 2015, Republican Gov. Sam Brownback asked his state's Board of
Healing Arts "to address the issue of sale of tissue and organs from the
unborn" at Planned Parenthood facilities, the Topeka Capital-Journal
reported
<http://cjonline.com/news/2015-07-21/brownback-calls-kansas-state-board-healing-arts-investigate-planned-parenthood>.

This month, the board said it had "determined no further action would be
taken at this time," per the Associated Press
<http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e2e6821e8c744bd2b65ef599759e1c28/apnewsbreak-kansas-medical-board-clears-planned-parenthood>
.

*Massachusetts*

On July 17, 2015, Republican state Rep. James Lyons sent a letter to
Democratic state Attorney General Maura Healey, asking her to launch an
investigation into whether Planned Parenthood was participating in fetal
tissue sales like those the CMP video purported to show, as the Boston
Herald reported
<http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2015/07/lawmaker_urges_state_to_investigate_planned_parenthood>.

On July 29, Healey responded in a statement that the state's Planned
Parenthood sites were "fully compliant with state and federal laws
regarding the disposition of fetal tissue" and were not participating in
any fetal tissue donation, though it is legal in that state, as the Boston
Globe reported
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/07/29/healey-mass-planned-parenthood-fully-compliant-with-law/Fc6pYYrY1ONGQvRTEqkWHK/story.html>
.

*Michigan*

On July 16, 2015, Republican state Sen. Phil Pavlov asked the state to
investigate "to determine whether or not any Michigan-based facilities have
participated in the horrifying sale of babies' body parts," MLive reported
<http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/07/michgian_wont_investigate_whol.html>.

In October, the two departments handling the investigations issued a
statement, saying that
<http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/10/planned_parenthood_not_mishand.html>

"there is no evidence to date that illegal practices are occurring," MLive
reported.

*Missouri*

On July 21, 2015, Democratic Attorney General Chris Koster started an
investigation, saying that "the questions raised by [CMP's] videos require
careful review," local TV station KMBC reported
<http://www.kmbc.com/news/videos-prompt-missouri-ag-investigation-into-planned-parenthood/34273800>.

In September, a release from Koster's office said
<http://ago.mo.gov/docs/default-source/press-releases/2015/plannedparenthood09-15.pdf>

the investigation turned up no "irregularities involving the transmission,
examination, or disposal of the fetal organs and tissue" from abortions at
the state's one clinic that performed surgical abortions, as the New York
Times reported
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/planned-parenthood-fetal-tissue-missouri.html>
.

*Nevada *

In September 2015, Nevada Republican Attorney General Adam Laxalt sent a
letter to Nevada Planned Parenthood facilities. Mentioning the videos, the
letter asked the sites about their abortion procedures and also asked if
they donate fetal tissue, as the AP reported
<http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/sep/16/ag-laxalt-asks-nevada-planned-parenthood-about-abo/>.

In December 2015, his office closed the investigation, saying that the
facilities weren't performing surgical abortions and that there also wasn't
evidence
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/2/nevada-ag-closes-inquiry-into-planned-parenthood/>

of tissue donation, according to the AP.

*Ohio *

In mid-July 2015, Ohio Republican Attorney General Mike DeWine announced
that he was launching an investigation into whether any Planned Parenthood
clinics in the state were selling fetal parts
<http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2015/07/mike_dewine_to_investigate_pla.html>,

according to Cleveland.com. In December, the state released the
investigation, revealing that there was no evidence of any such sales.
However, investigators did find that fetal remains were disposed of via
incinerators or landfills, which, while not illegal, DeWine claimed
"violate[d] Ohio administrative code," as Cleveland.com reported
<http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2015/12/aborted_fetal_remains_from_ohi.html>.

(An Ohio Planned Parenthood official disputed his claim.)

*Pennsylvania*

In July, two Republican state legislators asked the state attorney general
to investigate whether Planned Parenthood in Pennsylvania was selling fetal
tissue, Philly.com reported
<http://articles.philly.com/2015-08-23/news/65743370_1_tissue-scarnati-federal-law>.

In August, state Health Secretary Karen Murphy responded in a letter that
there was no evidence that any Pennsylvania facilities were buying, selling
or donating fetal tissue, as The Hill reports
<http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/251664-pennsylvania-becomes-fifth-state-to-find-no-planned-parenthood-wrongdoing>
.

*South Dakota*

In July 2015, Republican state Attorney General Marty Jackley instructed
the state Health Department to investigate whether fetal tissue sales were
occurring at Planned Parenthood, the AP reported. On Aug. 11, 2015, Jackley
told the Associated Press
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/11/health-department-no-evidence-of-fetal-tissue-sale/>

that "there are no reports, complaints or inspection records that would
demonstrate any evidence (of) illegal activity in South Dakota at this
time."

*Washington *

In late July 2015, 34 Republican lawmakers wrote a letter asking Democratic
Attorney General Bob Ferguson to investigate whether the state's Planned
Parenthood clinics were selling fetal parts, the Seattle Times reported
<http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/gop-lawmakers-want-state-to-investigate-planned-parenthood/>.

In November, Ferguson reported
<https://gallery.mailchimp.com/28a64d02479d9d79402df2b20/files/AG_Ferguson_Memo_Re_Planned_Parenthood.pdf>

that the state had found no evidence that the state's affiliates were selling
fetal tissue
<http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/state-ags-office-clears-washingtons-planned-parenthood-of-wrongdoing/>.

Washington is home to one of only two clinics (the other being in
California) that Planned Parenthood says
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/us/planned-parenthood-to-forgo-payment-for-fetal-tissue-programs.html>

currently donate any fetal tissue to researchers.

In addition, eight states (California, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa,
Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Virginia) decided not to pursue
investigations into the videos' allegations.