the pressure cooker was a bomb
---
not just a bomb but a weapon of mass destruction.

5 Weapons of Mass Destruction the U.S. Military Uses

When most of us think of weapons of mass destruction, we think of nuclear
bombs, or nerve gas, or biological agents. So it wassurprising to see
accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev charged with using a
weapon of mass destruction after he and his brother allegedly detonated a
bomb made from a pressure cooker.

Heinous as the Boston bombing is, a pressure cooker does not fit the
commonly used definition of a WMD. In fact, by its own definition, the U.S.
government is using WMDs every day. There appear to be two relevant laws
here. The first is found in Title 18 USC § 2332a
<http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap113B-sec2332a.htm>,

which defines weapons of mass destruction as

*(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;*

*(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious
bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or
poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;*

*(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those
terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or*

*(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a
level dangerous to human life; *

So far, so good. Beneath the legalese, this mostly fits the common
definition of WMDs. However, Section 921
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921>, the part that defines WMDs
as destructive devices is where the law gets interesting. For purpose of a
WMD, a destructive device is defined as a

(*i)** bomb, *

*(ii)** grenade, *
Recommended by Forbes

*(iii)** rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, *

*(iv)** missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than
one-quarter ounce, *

*(v)** mine, or *

*(vi)** device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding
clauses; *

or, *any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the
Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for
sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be
readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or
other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than
one-half inch in diameter.*

Now we have a problem. By this standard, the U.S. military is using WMDs
every day, and could be prosecuted by a foreign power if they were to adopt
similar laws. Here are a few examples:

*M67 hand grenade* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade>: U.S.
military’s fragmentation grenade is a grenade under Section 921, and it has
an explosive charge of 6.5 ounces, so it qualifies as a WMD on two counts.

*TOW-2 anti-tank missile*
<https://www.militaryperiscope.com/mdb-smpl/weapons/missrock/antitank/w0003228.shtml>:

The TOW-2 is a rocket that blasts through tank armor with a 13-pound
warhead, which would qualify as a WMD. Note that a  U.S. Army veteran was
charged
[http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-28/world/38099269_1_affidavit-al-nusra-syrian-rebel-group]

last month by the FBI with using WMDs after he fired Russian-made
rocket-propelled grenades while fighting in Syria alongside the rebels.

*M795 artillery shell* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M795>. The U.S.
military’s standard 155-millimeter howitzer shell carries 20 pounds of TNT
to its target. This would appear to qualify it as a weapon of mass
destruction.

*PGU-14/B Armor Piercing Incendiary ammunition*
<http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/pgu-14.htm> – These tank-killing
rounds for the 30-millimeter cannon on the A-10 Warthog attack jet use
depleted uranium (an extremely dense metal) to punch through armor – and
releases radiation in the process. The Pentagon has maintained for years
that the radiation is too small to be dangerous, but some – including
Desert Storm veterans [http://www.gulfwarvets.com/du.htm] have argued
otherwise.

*Joint Direct Attack Munition
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Direct_Attack_Munition>:* A JDAM
consisting of a U.S. Mark 84 bomb
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_84_bomb], fitted with laser guidance to
act as a smart bomb, carries 945 pounds of explosives. If the Taliban were
to adopt U.S. law, it could claim that U.S. aircraft are routinely using
WMDs in Afghanistan.

*W78 thermonuclear warhead* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W78>. The
standard warhead on U.S. Minuteman III ICBMs, its 350-kiloton yield
(equivalent to 350,000 tons of TNT) would blast or incinerate nearly 100
square miles, according to this nuclear weapons simulation
[http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nuclear/nuclearexplosionsimulator/]. Just a
reminder of the damage that a real WMD can do.

Federal law does specify that devices are neither designed nor modified to
be weapons are not WMDs, and neither are pyrotechnics, signal rockets and
the like. So those who light off firecrackers don’t have to worry about
being lumped together with Saddam Hussein. However, the fact remains that
by its own definition of a weapon of mass destruction, the U.S. military
has been and continues to routinely use them in combat.

The problem isn’t the weapons themselves – hand grenades date back to the
Middle Ages – but the way the U.S. government has defined WMDs such that
practically any explosive device could be classified as a weapon of mass
destruction.  This devalues the threat. If every weapon is a WMD – I’m
waiting to see knives and spears defined as such – then the threat just
becomes a normal part of the environment. Are we preparing to fight a war
with Iran because they have grenades and anti-tank rockets?