Students at Virginia’s Liberty University have issued a statement against
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump as young conservatives at some
colleges across the country reconsider support for his campaign.

A statement issued late Wednesday
the group Liberty United Against Trump strongly rebuked the candidate as
well as the school’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr., for defending Trump
after he made vulgar comments about women in a 2005 video.

“Donald Trump does not represent our values and we want nothing to do with
him,” the statement said. “… He has made his name by maligning others and
bragging about his sins. Not only is Donald Trump a bad candidate for
president, he is actively promoting the very things that we as Christians
ought to oppose.”

*[U-Va. College Republicans rescind support for Trump

Many campus Republican groups have not endorsed their party’s nominee.

Nationally, Trump seems to have less support from younger Republicans. Less
than two-thirds of Republican-leaning voters younger than 30 support Trump,
while more than three-quarters of 30-to-64-year-olds and 85 percent of
seniors do, in an average of September Washington Post-ABC national polls
They were also less likely to support Trump in the Republican primaries and
caucuses earlier this year.

And younger Republicans were more likely to say Trump is biased against
women and minorities, according to Post-ABC polling in August and early
September: In combined surveys, 44 percent of Republican-leaning adults
younger than 30 said Trump was biased against women and minorities,
compared with a quarter of those age 30 to 64 and one-fifth of those 65 and

*[Someone wrote ‘Trump 2016′ on Emory’s campus in chalk. And some students
say they no longer feel safe.

Some students maintain there is more support on campuses than people
realize, because many colleges are so liberal-leaning and politically
correct that Trump supporters choose to remain silent about their views.
They point to stealth campaigning, such as the “chalkenings” that have
happened at some schools
students waking to find Trump slogans written in chalk all over campus.

*[At the country’s most elite colleges, some Trump supporters stay closeted

But recent revelations about the candidate, including the release of a 2005
video in which he is heard talking about groping women
have made this a turning point for even some of his ardent supporters and
intensified debate about the candidate on many campuses.

That conflict is crystallized at Liberty. The Lynchburg school was founded
by evangelical pastor Jerry Falwell Sr., whose sermons gave rise to a
prominent conservative political movement, Moral Majority. The small
college Falwell created in 1971 has become an epicenter of evangelical
Christian education in the United States and one of the largest
universities by enrollment in the country, based in large part on soaring
online participation.

The campus also has become a regular stop for politicians on the campaign
trail. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) began his run for the presidency at Liberty.
Trump gave a convocation address in front of the student body in January. A
week afterward, Falwell Jr. endorsed Trump. In the months since, Falwell
has vigorously defended his decision to support the Republican candidate.

“Jesus said ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged.'” Falwell wrote in an essay for
The Washington Post this year.
stop trying to choose the political leaders who we believe are the most
godly because, in reality, only God knows people’s hearts. You and I don’t,
and we are all sinners.”

The students at Liberty University wrote that they felt compelled to speak
out in light of Falwell’s steadfast support for Trump even after the
candidate’s comments about women and sexual assault.

“Because our president has led the world to believe that Liberty University
supports Donald Trump, we students must take it upon ourselves to make
clear that Donald Trump is absolutely opposed to what we believe, and does
not have our support,” the Liberty students wrote. “We are not proclaiming
our opposition to Donald Trump out of bitterness, but out of a desire to
regain the integrity of our school.”

A spokeswoman for the Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a
request for comment Thursday.

Falwell quickly criticized the student effort against Trump.

“I am proud of these few students for speaking their minds but I’m afraid
the statement is incoherent and false,” Falwell said in a statement. “I am
not ‘touring the country’ or associating Liberty University with any
candidate. I am only fulfilling my obligation as a citizen to ‘render unto
Caesar the things that are Caesar’s’ by expressing my personal opinion
about who I believe is best suited to lead our nation in a time of crisis.
This student statement seems to ignore the teachings of Jesus not to judge
others but they are young and still learning.”

In another statement Thursday, Falwell questioned the support for the
group. “The group of students now speaking out against Trump represents a
very small percentage of the Liberty student body of 15,000 resident
students and 90,000 online students. The group (led by a never Trump
activist, I am told) claims to have between 200 and 1200 signatures on a
petition but admits that many of these signatories are not Liberty

*[Virginia’s Liberty transforms into evangelical mega-university

Dustin Wahl, a junior at Liberty, told The Post that he wrote the Liberty
United Against Trump statement and said that about 1,300 students, alumni
and faculty have left signatures of support. “Since the most recent sexual
assault thing, we realized this is a time we can all get behind this and
say ‘Enough is enough.’ We do not support our president in his endorsement
of Trump and we want the world to know because he’s giving Liberty
University a bad name,” Wahl said. ” . . . This is an effort to say Liberty
is not Trump university.”

During the Republican primary, Trump won about 8 percent of the vote in
Liberty’s voting precinct, while Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) won 44 percent and
Cruz won 33 percent.

Wahl said he attended the convocation on campus Wednesday, which included
an appearance by Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence. Wahl said
few students clapped when Pence spoke of Trump. “It was pretty pitiful,” he
said. “People associate our degree with the worst presidential candidate in
modern history.”

David Campbell, a political science professor at the University of Notre
Dame, said the nation is seeing “mounting evidence for a generational
divide within evangelicalism” over the campaign. “Pastors who either are
overtly supporting Trump or . . . continue to mix partisan politics should
worry about driving young evangelicals away from their church.”

Younger evangelicals tend to lean more to the left politically than their
parents, according to a survey of religious groups from the Pew Research

Many campus Republican groups have struggled with the choice. On Saturday,Alex
Smith <>, national chairman of the
College Republican National Committee, posted on Twitter: “The Party of
Lincoln is not a locker room, and there is no place for people who think it
is. Definitely not with her, but not with him.”

Smith is not granting interviews at this time, according to a spokesman for
the group. The spokesman did not respond to a question about how many
chapters have endorsed Trump.

The New Mexico Federation of College Republicans announced Saturday that
they “will not and cannot support Donald Trump.” The group endorsed
Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson.

The Harvard Republican Club took a strong stand in August. “For the first
time in 128 years, we, the oldest College Republicans chapter in the
nation, will not be endorsing the Republican nominee,” the club said in a
statement. “Donald Trump holds views that are antithetical to our values
not only as Republicans, but as Americans.”

The club had been planning to vote on an endorsement when its members were
back on campus for the academic year, said its president, Declan
Garvey, but a series of events over the summer intensified concern and a
survey was sent to members. Only 10 percent supported Trump, he said, and
80 percent were opposed.

In recent days, he said some of the revelations about Democratic nominee
Hillary Clinton disgusted members of the group. Then the video came out.
“There was some attrition back to Trump,” Garvey said, but the video
“stopped that.”

The Yale College Republicans wrote of the divides within their group, but
in a statement leaders warned of a Clinton victory and wrote in part:
“While not every member of our organization supported Trump in the primary,
as an organization and branch of the GOP we support Republicans up and down
the ballot. And yes, that includes supporting Donald Trump for president.”

After that decision, some members of the group left to form their own
organization. Leaders of the group declined to comment Thursday.

At Princeton, the College Republicans stayed on the sidelines with a
August promoting Republican principles but “not taking a definitive
position on Donald Trump’s candidacy.” Leaders of the group did not respond
immediately to requests for comment Thursday.

The Cornell University College Republicans endorsed the Libertarian ticket.
In a public statement
wrote, in part: “This election’s unprecedented nature has made blind
commitment to our Party unpalatable. The Cornell Republicans cannot, in
good faith, endorse our party’s nominee. Mr. Trump should not be the face
of American conservatism. Instead, we are proud to endorse the true
conservative in this election: Gary Johnson.”

At Washington University in St. Louis, site of the most recent presidential
debate, the College Republicans did not endorse Trump. In an op-ed
in Student Life, an independent newspaper, they wrote, “We should note that
even the unfamiliar sight of a College Republicans chapter not endorsing
their nominee is not uncommon in this election cycle. A myriad of
Republicans this year have decided not to endorse Trump either. Many
Republicans have realized that we need a candidate who will follow the
guidance of and adhere to the United States constitution, and not a nominee
who speaks of his presidency as a ‘reign.’”

In Virginia, while some students support Trump, others have recently
withdrawn support after the video, said Rachel Moss, a junior who is a
member of the James Madison University College Republicans and serves as
communication director for the College Republican Federation of
Virginia. Since many chapters have not publicly endorsed Trump, Moss said
that the federation is encouraging college students to focus on
congressional races.

On Tuesday, the University of Virginia College Republicans voted to rescind
the group’s Trump endorsement. “We do not feel Donald Trump accurately
represents the way we view and conduct ourselves,” the group’s executive
board wrote in a statement.

At Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va., the College Republicans
did not officially endorse Trump because the group “exists for the
betterment of the Republican Party as a whole, not select Republican
candidates,” said Caroline Bones, chair of the club. Bones noted that “like
the larger Republican Party, there is room for disagreements within our
membership. We fully recognize that not every Republican supports Mr.
Trump. ”

At Virginia Tech, the College Republicans did not formally endorse Trump
but wrote in a statement to The Post that as a “partisan, Republican
organization, our organization does support the Republican nominee for

Virginia Commonwealth University’s College Republicans chapter recently
voted once again to “unanimously and emphatically” endorse Trump. John
Rackoski, vice president of communication for the group, said that they are
“obviously disgusted” by what Trump said on the tape but that it “is no
worse than the language we hear used in public on campus on a daily basis,
from both men and women. … A firestorm has erupted over Trump’s dirty jokes
told in private to other men over 11 years ago, which hurt no one.”

The students at Liberty University ended their statement by noting that
“while everyone is a sinner and everyone can be forgiven, a man who
constantly and proudly speaks evil does not deserve our support for the
nation’s highest office.”

The statement concluded: “We want the world to know how many students
oppose him. We don’t want to champion Donald Trump; we want only to be
champions for Christ.”

For options & help see

* Visit our other community at

For more options, visit