Donald Trump has indulged in conspiracy theories about President Obama’s
birthplace, the FBI’s “rigged” probe of Hillary Clinton, the Federal
Reserve’s “political” agenda and whether Ted Cruz’s father was linked to
the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

With his presidential campaign in full-blown crisis on Thursday, Trump was
at it again, putting a new spin on a familiar tactic.

This time, there was a bigger, badder villain — “a global power structure”
of corporate interests, the media and Clinton engaging in subterfuge.

This time, it was about him.

“They knew they would throw every lie they could at me and my family and my
loved ones,” said Trump at a rally in West Palm Beach, Fla. “They knew they
would stop at nothing to try to stop me. But I never knew, as bad as it
would be, I never knew it would be this vile, that it would be this bad,
that it would be this vicious.”
Here are some of the Republicans who cut ties with Trump after lewd remarks
View Photos
Following a Friday report by The Washington Post on a 2005 video of the GOP
presidential nominee, various Republicans have said they no longer plan to
vote for him and some call for him to drop out.

In the face of mounting accusations
women that he groped and kissed them without their consent, dozens of media
outlets carefully vetting their claims and a Clinton campaign eager to
exploit worries about his behavior toward women, Trump decided to lump them

“For those who control the levers of power in Washington, and for the
global special interests, they partner with these people that don’t have
your good in mind. Our campaign represents a true existential threat like
they haven’t seen before,” Trump said.

“He is not just talking about Obama’s birth certificate. He is talking
about himself,” said Mark Fenster, a University of Florida law professor
and author of a 2008 book about conspiracy theories and American culture.
“This now becomes a much more personal enterprise about him.”

A day earlier, Trump appeared to allege
without evidence, that House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis.) and other GOP
elected officials who distanced themselves from him were involved in a mass
scheme to undermine him.

“There’s a whole deal going on — we’re going to figure it out. I always
figure things out. But there’s a whole sinister deal going on,” he said.

While spreading information ranging from the questionable to the outright
inaccurate with no evidence — a distinctive feature of his campaign — Trump
often qualifies his ideas by attributing them to unnamed “people” he claims
are speaking about them.

Some of the ideas he has embraced have been denounced by critics who
charged that they were racially or culturally derogatory.

“.@TeamTrump should avoid rhetoric&tropes that historically have been used
ag. Jews & still spur #antisemitism. Lets keep hate out of cmpgn,”
Anti-Defamation League chief executive Jonathan Greenblatt tweeted
Thursday. He was responding to Trump’s comment that Clinton “meets in
secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty
in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special-interest
friends and her donors.”

In his remarks, Trump said “WikiLeaks documents” were evidence of his
point. Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said Trump was “talking about Hillary
Clinton meeting and speaking to executives at a Brazilian bank, as
evidenced by the Wikileaks document dump,” not anti-Semitism.

For years, Trump was at the vanguard of the “birther” movement doubting
that Obama was born in the United States despite clear evidence that he
was. Only last month did Trump officially put his doubts to rest. In doing
he falsely blamed Clinton for starting the rumors about Obama.

Last year, Trump said
saw “thousands” of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey as the World Trade
Center buildings fell during the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

“There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey,
where you have large Arab populations. They were cheering as the World
Trade Center came down,” Trump said on ABC News in November. “I know it
might be not politically correct for you to talk about it, but there were
people cheering as that building came down.”

Fact checkers found no evidence
support his claim.

At the end of the Republican primary, Trump said Cruz’s father, Rafael
Cruz, was associated
Lee Harvey Oswald around the time he shot Kennedy.

“His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald being, you know,
shot,” Trump told Fox News in May. “I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous.
What is this? Right? Prior to his being shot. And nobody even brings it up.”

Trump appeared to be talking about a photograph published by the National
Enquirer that showed Oswald and another man distributing pro-Castro
leaflets in New Orleans in 1963. Cruz’s campaign denied that it was his
father. No proof emerged supporting Trump’s claim.

Federal agencies have not been spared in Trump’s unsubstantiated attacks.
The Fed, which operates separately from the executive branch, was “being
totally controlled politically,” he said during remarks on the economy in
New York last month.

“The system is rigged. General Petraeus got in trouble for far less. Very
very unfair! As usual, bad judgment,” Trump tweeted in July
<>, in
response to the FBI recommending no charges against Clinton over her use of
a private email server.

Lately, his rhetoric has become more personal — more about his movement,
his supporters and himself.

Local Politics Alerts

Breaking news about local government in D.C., Md., Va.
Sign up

“We’re going to watch Pennsylvania. Go down to certain areas and watch and
study, make sure other people don’t come in and vote five times,” Trump said
a campaign stop in Altoona, Pa., in August, voicing concerns about voter
fraud that he has repeated with urgency in recent weeks.

Studies have shown
documented instances of voter fraud are very rare and that efforts to
tighten voter ID laws affect African Americans and younger voters
heavily than others.

Trump said Thursday that the world had reached “a moment of reckoning.” He
told his backers that his campaign is “not about me; it’s about all of you,
and it’s about our country.” He portrayed the powers he says have banded
together to rally against him and his advocates as ruthless and cunning.

“They will attack you; they will slander you; they will seek to destroy
your career and your family; they will seek to destroy everything about
you, including your reputation,” Trump said. “They will lie, lie, lie, and
then again they will do worse than that; they will do whatever is

Jose A. DelReal and Jenna Johnson contributed to this report.

For options & help see

* Visit our other community at

For more options, visit