[image: bankers1]*The Republican presidential candidate never mentioned
Jews in his prepared text, which he read from teleprompters with some
extemporization. But in declaring that his Democratic rival, Hillary
Clinton, is somehow an instrument of a vast conspiracy involving scads of
money and “international banks,” he entered what many saw as
a territory, real and ideological, where hostility to Jews perpetuates and
thrives even in their absence.*

———————————————————-*JTA – Donald Trump’s star, blunted into a circle, may
just have re-sprouted six corners. Trump delivered a speech Thursday in
West Palm Beach, Florida, that sounded some familiar themes – familiar to
his campaign, but also to folks versed in anti-Semitism and in classic
conspiracy theories of global control that is its lifeblood.**The
Republican presidential candidate never mentioned Jews in his prepared
text, which he read from teleprompters with some extemporization. But in
declaring that his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, is somehow an
instrument of a vast conspiracy involving scads of money and “international
banks,” he entered what many saw as a territory, real and ideological,
where hostility to Jews perpetuates and thrives even in their
absence.**“Hillary
Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of
U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her
special interest friends and her donors,” Trump said.**That quote evidently
was key: Trump’s campaign team, @TeamTrump, tweeted it out.**Jonathan
Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, noticed
<https://twitter.com/JGreenblattADL/status/786672319452291074>.*

*“@TeamTrump should avoid rhetoric and tropes that historically have been
used against Jews and still spur #antisemitism,” Greenblatt said. “Let’s
keep hate out of campaign.”*

Trump did not seem amenable to that kind of advice. If not hate, precisely,
he was ready to indulge a willingness to blame a mysterious cabal*“This
election will determine if we are a free nation or whether we have only the
illusion of democracy, but are in fact controlled by a small handful of
global special interests rigging the system, and our system is rigged,” he
said.**“Our corrupt political establishment, that is the greatest power
behind the efforts at radical globalization and the disenfranchisement of
working people. Their financial resources are virtually unlimited, their
political resources are unlimited, their media resources are
unmatched.”**Others
heard echoes between Trump’s rhetoric and classic anti-Semitic tropes. Like
Greenblatt, a number of writers on Twitter said the intent and the effect
is essentially toxic whether or not Jews are explicitly mentioned.**“Trump
is priming his supporters to believe the election was stolen from them by a
cabal of Jews, blacks, bankers and media,” said
<https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/786688097983598592> Todd Zwillich,
a public radio correspondent.**“Is it just me or is much of this Trump
speech Jew-baiting?” said
<https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/786622661887537152> Julia Ioffe, who
suffered a barrage of anti-Semitic abuse after writing a critical article
about Trump’s wife Melania – attacks Trump refused
<http://www.jta.org/2016/05/05/news-opinion/politics/trump-no-message-for-followers-who-flooded-reporter-with-anti-semitic-abuse>
repudiate.**Ari Ratner, a fellow at the liberal New America think
tank, posted <https://twitter.com/amratner/status/786672586700779520> a
side by side comparison of Trump’s speech and Adolf Hitler’s 1941
declaration of war.**The speech also bore comparison with another notorious
anti-Semitic tract: “The Protocols of the Elder of Zion,” the
anti-Semitic forgery
<http://ddickerson.igc.org/The_Protocols_of_the_Learned_Elders_of_Zion.pdf>
that
has fueled anti-Jewish violence for over a century:**Trump: “Our great
civilization here in America and across the civilized world has come across
a moment of reckoning. We’ve seen it in the United Kingdom, where they
voted to liberate themselves from global government and global trade deals
and global immigration deals that have destroyed their sovereignty and have
destroyed many of those nations. The central base of world political power
is right here in America, our corrupt political establishment that is the
greatest power behind the efforts at radical globalization and the
disenfranchisement of working people.”**Protocols (from the introduction,
written in the voice of a “scholar” who purports to be revealing a secret
Jewish document): “The nations of the West are being brought under
international control at political, military and economic levels. They are
rapidly in process of becoming controlled also on the social level. All
alike are being told that their only hope lies in the surrender of national
sovereignty.”**Trump: “The corporate media in our country is no longer
involved in journalism, they are a political special interest, no different
than any other … with an agenda, and the agenda is not for you, it’s for
themselves …**“The establishment and their media enablers wield control
over this nation through means that are very well known.”**Protocols (in
the voice of its fabricated Jewish “conspirators”): “Through the Press, we
have gained the power to influence while remaining ourselves in the shade:
thanks to the Press we have got the gold in our hands, notwithstanding that
we have had to gather it out of the oceans of blood and tears.”**The
dreamscape conjured up by Trump’s speech, a conspiracy theory anchored by a
proliferation of anti-Semitic tropes, but missing Jews, is not an
unfamiliar one. “None Dare Call it Conspiracy,” a popular
far-right tract published in 1971, explicitly repudiates Jew hatred, and
then, like Trump did in his speech, advances the same conspiratorial
imaginings prolific in “The Protocols.” It was in its day tremendously
influential on the antecedents to the alt-right.**Trump’s speech,
delivered in a must-win state, added flesh to the accusation in his
notorious July 2 tweet
<http://www.jta.org/2016/07/03/news-opinion/politics/donald-trump-deletes-tweet-showing-hillary-clinton-and-star-of-david-image>depicting

Clinton, against a pile of cash and a six-pointed star, as the “Most
Corrupt Candidate Ever!”**The tweet was deleted the same day and campaign
staff replaced it with an identical one, with the phrase now backed up by a
red circle. But Trump was furious
<http://www.jta.org/2016/07/04/news-opinion/united-states/donald-trump-blames-dishonest-media-for-fuss-over-tweet-depicting-star-of-david>
 at
his staff for deleting the tweet, and at accusations that the tweet was
anti-Semitic, although the image originated on an anti-Semitic website. At
best, Trump didn’t know that the Star of David tweet, and the conspiracy
theories it conjures, was a product of an anti-Semitic imagination. At
worst, he didn’t care, and was willing to ignore its toxic provenance in
courting a dangerous fringe.**Conspiracy theories are composed of two
elements: the plot and its executors. The imagined plot is a device aimed
at isolating and marginalizing – if not physically harming – its falsely
accused executors.**Whether or not Trump intended to intimate that his
“handful of global special interests” are Jewish, his speech Thursday
seeded the present tumult with the threats of a violent past.*