When I was in my twenties, I too thought like this, looking for combat over
issues that were much ado about nothing.

I also disagree that "Blue Egos Matter";  there was no ego involved here;
 in both videotapes the cops demonstrate that neither cop were assholes.
In the first video, Mr. Journalist (who flashed his Press
Credentials...Want to talk about an "Ego Issue"?) has his window cracked
maybe all of a half of an inch, and instructs his girlfriend not to answer
any questions, including refusing to give her name, (which unfortunately,
the Supreme's have ruled law enforcement has the right to answer, and you
and I are mandated to respond!)

I've found that the easiest way to get through these, is cooperation and a
bit of friendliness....."IF" it goes beyond what is legally termed a "Terry
Stop"; which is a casual encounter between law enforcement and a citizen;
and/or if you are doing something illicit, then yes, I suggest you clam up,
reveal nothing, and ask like Mr. Journalist did, as to whether you are
being detained.  "IF" the answer is "Yes"; then request counsel IMMEDIATELY!