Weird Universe <http://www.weirduniverse.net/>
------------------------------

Zippo Car <http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/zippo_car>

The Zippo Manufacturing Co. built the Zippo car in 1947 by adapting a
Chrysler Saratoga. However, the weight of the lighters kept causing the
tires to blow out. So in 1952 the car was sent to a Pittsburgh garage for
repairs and re-adaptation. It was never seen again. To this day, no one
knows what happened to the Zippo car.

It reminds me of the tale of the lost Star Wars Celica GT
<http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/star_wars_celica>.

In 1998, a replica Zippo car was built — fitted with modern tires that
could handle the weight.

More info: post-gazette.com
<http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/05/08/A-reproduction-of-the-1947-Zippo-Car-is-part-of-this-year-s-Vintage-Pittsburgh/stories/201505080107>,
NY Daily News
<http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/zippo-car-turns-65-article-1.1184569>,
Zippo <https://www.zippo.com/pages/zippo-cars>.

Thanks to hotsauce269 for the photo!

Follies of the Madmen #322
<http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/follies_of_the_madmen_322>

Original ad here.
<http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1956/04/26/page/22/article/display-ad-24-no-title>
You are subscribed to email updates from Weird Universe
<http://www.weirduniverse.net/>.
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now
<https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=ivdH_fBFKImDEFGpnmJuhFvAL3M>
. Email delivery powered by Google
Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United
States