*Robert Mueller’s Grand Jury is a Politically-Motivated Joke*

August 6, 2017

News broke this week that Special Counsel Robert Mueller has convened a
grand jury in Washington, D.C. to investigate, subpoena, and perhaps indict
individuals in relation to the Trump/Russia collusion conspiracy.

The news itself is interesting, not least because it means that someone on
the grand jury or working on the investigation in another capacity violated
the secrecy laws governing these judicial bodies – once again, anything and
everything in President Trump’s orbit is apparently subject to press leaks.
In this case, there could be serious legal consequences for the rat, as it
is a federal crime (contempt of court) to leak information about a grand
jury empanelment proceeding.

But of course, that’s secondary to the meat of the story – that being the
grand jury itself.

In an interview with WABC, lawyer Alan Dershowitz said that Mueller’s
decision to convene the grand jury in Washington put the president at a
decided disadvantage.

“It gives the prosecutor a tremendous tactical advantage,” Dershowitz told
radio host Rita Cosby. “The case now can be brought not in Northern
Virginia, which is a swing area – sometimes Democrat, sometimes Republican
– but the District of Columbia, which is always solidly Democratic and has
an ethnic and racial composition that might be very unfavorable to the
Trump Administration.”

Cosby asked Dershowitz if this was an intentional move on Mueller’s part to
ensure a better outcome.

“Yes,” he said. “I think it’s a tactical move designed to send a message
that if the prosecutor decides to prosecute, he will have a real advantage
with the jury pool where the case will be held.”

Perhaps. But what’s the point of “sending a message” like that to the Trump
White House? It’s not as if members of the Trump campaign are going to
“settle” the case behind closed doors in exchange for an agreement not to
prosecute. Still, we have no doubt that Mueller intentionally picked D.C.
to ensure a favorable outcome should the indictments come down.

But those indictments are probably not coming. Perhaps he’ll nab a Trump
hanger-on or two just to justify whatever he’s getting paid, but that’s the
extent of it. This grand jury – this entire investigation – is intended to
keep the leaks and the pressure coming. It isn’t about any form of
“justice.” It’s a political witch hunt designed to give the Democrats an
endless number of talking points as we head into next year’s midterms. And,
if the Democrats get something really juicy out of the stories leaking to
the press, they might even overextend themselves all the way towards an
impeachment process. THAT’S the holy grail of the Mueller investigation –
not criminal charges, but political ones. Which means that Trump’s fate
will lie in the hands of the Republican Party.

Whether that’s horrifying or comforting…we’ll see.

http://tinyurl.com/yadvdv6n

Virus-free.
<#m_-3110626454665964977_m_5774255515986465290_m_-1484052980625704324_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>