Peak stupid?

Unfortunately I doubt it.

Thatbearguy
@Thatbearguy

ESPN pulls Asian-American announcer from Virginia football game because he
has a Confederate general's name
Published August 22, 2017
Fox News <http://www.foxnews.com/>
<http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-asian-american-announcer-from-virginia-football-game-because-has-confederate-generals-name.html#>

   - Controversy after ESPN removes announcer name Robert Lee

In the wake of the events in Charlottesville, Va., ESPN decided to pull one
of its announcers from calling a University of Virginia football game --
because his name is Robert Lee.

Lee, an Asian-American sportscaster who started with the network in 2016,
was moved to a different game "simply because of the coincidence of his
name," ESPN said, referencing the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

On Aug. 12, violence broke out at a protest from a white-nationalist group
opposing the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville. A driver
ultimately rammed his car into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one
woman and injuring more than a dozen other people, police said.
[image: Robert_Lee2] Expand / Collapse

Robert Lee.

ESPN, which has faced accusations of liberal bias that some observers
believe has led to a downtick in viewership, said it moved its announcer
to the Youngstown State game at Pittsburgh.

The network's full statement: “We collectively made the decision with
Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were
unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it
felt right to all parties. It's a shame that this is even a topic of
conversation and we regret that who calls play-by-play for a football game
has become an issue.”

ESPN notes that assignments are switched all the time.

---
"PoliticalForum" group.