I was watching Donny Swaggart today. Pretty good preaching on 2
Chronicles 20, but he left out the part that Jehoshaphat called on
Israel to "fast" and seek God. He just talked about seeking God. A lot
of these modern preachers don't want to fast or deny themselves in any
way. Then Joel Osteen was "preaching" on some kind of sociology or
psychology or something that had nothing related to anything the Bible
said at all. I didn't waste my time watching that for long. Then
Pastor John Hagee. It sounded alright. Until you think a little about
what he was saying. One thing he said was supposedly quoting the Bible
"if you don't work you shouldn't eat." How many have heard that
before? They'll always misquote it that way, Rod Parsley and others.
If that's what the Bible said there shouldn't be any welfare programs
and you shouldn't do any almsgivng to the poor, but the early church
had a welfare system and gave alms to the poor. 2 Thessalonians
chapter 3 verse 10 says "if any would not work, neither should he
eat." See, it didn't say "do not work" it says "would not work." This
is talking about people able to work in every way and are not willing
to work because they're lazy. And in context it's talking just about
people in the church so it has nothing to do with a public welfare
system at all. In the early church they had all things in common. Like
a commune. Money was divided as they had need. Some of the people who
were able to work weren't and were taking advantage of the system.
Read the whole passage and don't give any more to this overweight,
divorced and remarried millionaire Republican. At least Donny Swaggart
said he was planning on dropping out of the Republican Party, a step
in the right direction. See http://www.squidoo.com/tithes-and-offerings