There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are
forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
---
Massachusetts, like many American colonies, had roots in a scrupulous
fundamentalist Protestantism. Christianity was no barrier to slave-
ownership, however. The Puritans regarded themselves as God's Elect,
and so they had no difficulty with slavery, which had the sanction of
the Law of the God of Israel. The Calvinist doctrine of predestination
easily supported the Puritans in a position that blacks were a people
cursed and condemned by God to serve whites. Cotton Mather told blacks
they were the "miserable children of Adam and Noah," for whom slavery
had been ordained as a punishment.

A Massachusetts law of 1641 specifically linked slavery to Biblical
authority, and established for slaves the set of rules "which the law
of God, established in Israel concerning such people, doth morally
require." When two Massachusetts slave merchants joined with London
slave raiders in a massacre of an African village in 1645, the
colonial government registered its indignation, because the two men
were guilty of the Biblical crime of "man-stealing" (kidnapping
Africans instead of acquiring them in the approved way, in exchange
for rum or trinkets) -- and because the slaughter of 100 or so
villagers had taken place on a Sunday. Nonetheless, because of its
Scriptural foundation, Massachusetts' attitudes toward slaves in some
ways were more progressive than those of other colonies.

Like Connecticut and Rhode Island, however, Massachusetts had a
problem with masters who simply turned out their slaves when they grew
too old or feeble to work. Unlike the later Southern system, which
took pride in its paternal care for slaves in their old age,
Massachusetts masters had to be forced to keep theirs by a 1703 law
requiring them to post £50 bond for every slave manumitted, to provide
against the slave becoming indigent and the responsibility of some
town. There are also instances on record of slave mothers' children
given away like puppies or kittens by masters unwilling or unable to
support them. There was no law against this.

Later reminiscences, long after slavery's end, emphasized the benign
nature of Massachusetts slavery, but the laws and statutes of the time
show it to be grim enough, and the need for control over even so small
a population of blacks as lived in Massachusetts was felt to be great.
Fear of an uprising no doubt was behind the 1656 exclusion of blacks
(and Indians) from military duty. Concern about fugitive slaves,
meanwhile, probably lay behind the 1680 act by which the colony
imposed heavy fines on captains of ships and vessels that took blacks
aboard, or sailed away with them without permission from the governor.
Protection of masters' property from slave theft certainly motivated
the 1693 statute that forbade anyone from buying anything from a
black, Indian or mulatto servant.

Boston, which had the largest slave population, also had its own layer
of controls, on top of the province-wide ones. In statutes enacted at
various times between the 1720s and 1750s, slaves in Boston were
forbidden to buy provisions in market; carry a stick or a cane; keep
hogs or swine; or stroll about the streets, lanes, or Common at night
or at all on Sunday. Punishments for violation of these laws ranged up
to 20 lashes, depending on aggravating factors.

Black slaves were singled out for punishment by whipping if they broke
street lamps, under a law of 1753, and a special law allowed severe
whippings for any black person who hit a white one (1705-6).

The colony, along with Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland, punished
both races for miscegenation. But Old Testament abhorrence of "mixed
natures" may help explain why the Massachusetts statue was more severe
than that of any other colony on the continent. The Massachusetts law
against mixed marriage or sexual relations between the races
[Massachusetts Acts and Resolves, I, 578], dating to 1705, was passed
"for the better preventing of a spurious and mixt issue." It subjected
a black man who slept with a white woman to being sold out of the
province (likely to the cruel plantations of the West Indies). Both
were to be flogged, and the woman bound out to service to support any
children resulting from the illicit union. In cases involving a white
man and a black woman, both were to be flogged, the man fined £5 and
held liable for support of any children, and the woman to be sold out
of the province.