As a reminder of the federal government's limited powers, 20
representatives want to ensure that every single piece of legislation
passing through Congress includes a statement citing specific
constitutional authority for enacting it.

Sponsored by Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz., H.R. 450, or the Enumerated
Powers Act, states, "Each Act of Congress shall contain a concise and
definite statement of the constitutional authority relied upon for the
enactment of each portion of that Act. The failure to comply with this
section shall give rise to a point of order in either House of
Congress. …"

When he introduced the proposal Jan. 9, Shadegg gave a House floor
speech reminding his colleagues of limited authority granted in the
10th Amendment of the United States Constitution.

It states, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the
Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the
States respectively, or to the people."

"What that means is that the Founding Fathers intended our national
government to be a limited government, a government of limited powers
that cannot expand its legislative authority into areas reserved to
the states or to the people," Shadegg said. "As the final amendment in
the 10 Bill of Rights, it is clear that the Constitution establishes a
Federal Government of specifically enumerated and limited powers."

For that reason, Shadegg said he has introduced the Enumerated Powers
Act each year that he's been in Congress.

"This measure would enforce a constant and ongoing re-examination of
the role of our national government," he said. "… It is simply
intended to require a scrutiny that we should look at what we enact
and that, by doing so, we can slow the growth and reach of the Federal
Government, and leave to the states or the people, those functions
that were reserved to them by the Constitution."

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=94418