I hear Republicans and Conservatives whine about proposed healthcare
all the time.
"Oooh, Obama's going to give us socialized healthcare!"
"Oooh, we'll get crappy quality care!"
"Ooooh, those poor, poor insurance companies won't be able to
compete!"
"Oooh, the expense of it!"
What a load of crap.
Part of the reason they lost every vote that wasn't a loyal Limbaugh
listener is because they had no answer to this problem. The GOP was
big on criticism and completely absent on solutions (on several
issues).

1. "We would get poor quality healthcare". We already GET poor quality
healthcare. Really, really poor quality healthcare. The spokesman for
the ads against reform is Rick Scott, whose HCA/Columbia denied so
many benefits to people his company covered, they evenetually went
bankrupt from the lawsuits. Teens died. Elderly died. Everyone in
between died or were permanently crippled due to the denial of
benefits. This is the care we get now. And we spend more than anyone
in the world for the really bad care. Obama and the Dems have the guts
to  try SOMETHING. The GOP offers nothing. Even he GOP candidate for
president had no answer when asked in a Town Hall meeting "If the
healthcare would be so bad, why have you chosen to stay on it fo the
last 30 years? Obviously you could afford private care if you wanted
it". He literally had NO answer. Just like his party. So we can get
crappy healthcare for $7K a year or we can get it for significantly
less.
2. "Private Insurance companies won't be able to compete with the
government." So then, the government is SO efficient and provides SUCH
a better product, that private insurers won't be able to compete?
Kinda contradicts the case against government healthcare, doesn't it.
And many compaines compete with the government and do just fine. Don't
believe me? I'll Fed Ex you a memo on it.
3. We can't afford it? We can't afford to do nothing - which is the
Republicans' answer. Healthcare is driving the American Citizens
bankrupt. Two thirds of bankruptcies filed in 2008 were due to
healthcare. What is more telling, 75% of those people HAD health
insurance!
These aren't people who shirked responsibility. They paid their
extortive premiums. But the slimy bastards at insurance companies
operate out of manuals which literally teach them how to deny claims.
So people who would otherwise be paying taxes or employing others who
pay taxes, aren't.
I know this from personal experience. I had 9 recruiters and staff
working for me when my brother got cancer. Even with his insurance,
the costs ranged from $6 - $8K a month. I closed the business down and
moved to Houston to take care of him. He finally passed late last year
and that was the market I returned to (ugh). We were close to becoming
one of those bankruptcies. Fortunately, 16 years of clients have us
functioning again. We'll build it back up. But you are not going to
convince me that the American health system is anything but an
embarrassment.
I have lived all over and I love this great nation of ours more than
any other. But like many countries, we tend to think we're the best at
EVERYTHING. We're not. Too many criminals go free. Too much of our tax
dollars are wasted. And our healthcare sucks. While Uber-Conservatives
bitch about how Canada has fewer MRI scanners, millions of our
countrymen can't get a check-up or any of the most basic services.
I'm looking forward to healthcare reform.