> On Sep 7, 2017, at 7:53 PM, Leandro Facchinetti <lea...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> the Pollen development server could send an ‘Content-Encoding’ HTTP header,
> to avoid issues like the one jcheng8 reported. By default, it would send
> ‘UTF-8’, but this choice could be parameterizable via the ‘pollen/setup’
> mechanism.
>
> What do you think?

A good idea, but most people (including me) aren't deploying their Pollen sites
using the Racket web server.

Thus, I've traditionally been reluctant to introduce server-level magic because
it's not automatically portable to other web servers. (And then we'd have the
companion issue: "hey, why did this break when I published it?")

But if you've ever made an .html.pm file and rendered it with the fallback
Pollen HTML template, you'll see it includes a <meta charset="UTF-8">
declaration at the top, which AFAIK is the most portable way to enforce the
encoding:

https://github.com/mbutterick/pollen/blob/master/pollen/private/server-extras/fallback.html

<https://github.com/mbutterick/pollen/blob/master/pollen/private/server-extras/fallback.html>