Perhaps, though a feature that claims to be "compatible" comes with a lot of
housekeeping and maintenance.

Why couldn't the URL rewriting happen in the tag function, rather than at the
Pollen level? For instance, you would write

◊clean-apache-link["ooh/la/la.html"]{my link text}

And use an environment variable to toggle the behavior of the
`clean-apache-link` function at build time.