As a Racket rule of thumb, I find that most efforts toward "custom-built loops"
end in defeat, because the Racket macro expander and JIT compiler are aware of
better optimizations. If I were writing another book on Racket, it would be
High-Performance Racket, which I know more about than I used to, but still not
very much ;)