Just a further update on this: the problem seems to be the config.guess script which reports that this is a 32-bit processor rather than a 64-bit one. I've updated to the latest version from the master version at git.savannah.gnu.org but I'm not sure that this fixes it. I came across a proposed patch to this in a GCC mailing list archive
http://www.mail-archive.com/gcc-b...@gcc.gnu.org/msg263541.html
which hasn't made it into the master yet. I've added this in so I'd be interested to know if it works. To see what it's reporting now run
sh config.guess
in the polyml directory.

I've also added the -segprot option so hopefully it will all build on Mac OS X 10.6 without any special options.

David