On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 12:02 +0100, David Matthews wrote:
> [...] in the meantime have you tried setting the heap size with the -H
> option?  Try setting it to half the size of the virtual memory.

That allows poly to start up normally.  -H values well above half the
size of the virtual memory also work, as long as they are below the size
of the virtual memory (less some relatively small safety margin).

> I take it that your crashes happen immediately on start-up.

That's right.  Also, poly -v crashes in the same way, without printing
any version information.

I'll be happy to test a fix/the next release on my machine when you have
one.

Regards,
Tjark