If you search github with its builtin search functionality, you can do so by
what github thinks is the primary language of project with the language:
modifier.  I just tried

    language:sml

and got back 950 results.

These are not necessarily all genuine.  For example, the first hit I got, the
AuditProject/truecrypt-verified-mirror, seems to be flagged as SML because some
of its files have a .sig extension.   But after that you do get compilers and
theorem-provers and some other things that even have SML in their descriptions.

Michael