I designed a language called Poly as part of my PhD in the early 80s. The early versions of Poly/ML were written in that language. It seems that Harland also designed a language with the same name but it was a completely different language. As I recall it used dynamic type checking so wasn't polymorphic in the way that ML is and (my) Poly was.

Regards,
David