I'm not able to build poly/ML on my Mac, with or without libgmp, for about a
year. The funny thing is, it builds fine on my similarly-configured MacBook Pro
at home. I've given up trying to figure out why.  Upgrading to High Sierra or
downloading more recent versions of the sources hasn't changed this. Something
in the setup must be very fragile.

make[1]: *** [polyimport] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I use Homebrew, not macports.