Hi,
Thank you for your comments and the patch. Apologies for the delay in replying; I wanted to give it some thought.

I'm not convinced that adding Int16 etc would help that much with FFI calls. Currently the code checks that the values are in range when the foreign function is called. Using an appropriate fixed precision integer type would essentially move the range checks elsewhere. There might be some other uses for Int16 etc. I'll consider adding your Word16 code.

Real32 (i.e. float) might be useful on X86/64 because it could be implemented using tagging rather than needing real numbers to be stored in heap cells. Currently the need to allocate memory to hold a "real" is a significant overhead.

Regards,
David