I have no idea why you are explaining to me what the Time service is.
I know what it is.
My question/statement was that I am seeing 10x as many coming from
invalid ip's vs valid ip's.
Quoting "Ryan A. Krenzischek" <[email protected]>:
Patrick,
37/UDP and 37/TCP is the standard time service that traditionally
runs out of inetd or xinetd. It has a base line of 1 jan 1900
instead of the standard EPOCH which starts 1 Jan 1970. Information
regarding the standard time service is found here
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc868) and
http://www.nist.gov/physlab/div847/grp40/its.cfm. Some really old
clients using rdate use this to do a one-type sync for date/time
from another machine. NIST has phased out all but one server
(time-nw.nist.gov) that will answer on 37/UDP and 37/TCP. They plan
to discontinue this service in the future.
Please note that the standard time service can not be used for NTP sync.
Regards,
Ryan
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Patrick Domack wrote:
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:49:34 -0400
From: Patrick Domack <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Pool] Port 37 UDP
I have noticed (as I was changing around dns and ntp on my systems)
that I get lots of port 37 requests.
About 8 per second from private ip addresses, and 1 per 10seconds
from a valid ip
Someone out here making horribly bad nat routers that only do tcp?
18:41:43.021572 IP 10.4.57.240.1026 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
18:41:43.084644 IP 10.1.58.238.1025 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
18:41:43.132121 IP 10.3.64.167.1026 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
18:41:43.309778 IP 10.3.59.111.1026 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
18:41:43.518093 IP 10.4.56.39.1027 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
18:41:43.617981 IP 10.18.128.60.4087 > 38.117.195.101.123: NTPv1,
Client, length 48
18:41:43.750568 IP 10.18.128.99.1442 > 38.117.195.101.123: NTPv1,
Client, length 48
18:41:43.827442 IP 10.18.128.115.1571 > 38.117.195.101.123: NTPv1,
Client, length 48
18:41:43.902925 IP 10.1.19.83.1027 > 38.117.195.101.37: UDP, length 0
_______________________________________________
pool mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/pool