On Jun 6, 2011, at 11:55, Anssi Johansson wrote:

>> ip6tables on Linux doesn't seem to have state tracking and it appears I
>> messed up the firewall rules a bit.  I realized it last night actually as I
>> was going to bed, but it was already crazy o'clock.   I will get them fixed
>> within an hour or so.
>
> Right, that one bit me as well when I was setting up my firewalls. CentOS 5.6
> doesn't have a stateful IPv6 firewall, but the upcoming CentOS 6 release is
> supposed to be better in this regard.

I actually have Redhat EL licenses (courtesy of Redhat) that we use; but there
isn't a good (remote) upgrade path so we won't get RHEL 6 on those servers
until they're replaced most likely.

On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:41, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> You almost certainly don't want to be implementing stateful rules for NTP
> traffic; you'll fill up the state table with lots of entries for no benefit,
> as UDP isn't stateful.

For an NTP server; sure - but in this case it's just a client of a few thousand
servers so it's not really a big strain to keep that bit of state.

 - ask