On Jun 22, 2011, at 12:08, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, David Lord wrote:
>
>> About once a month I was hit by turk-telecom which was about
>> 12-15k requests in about 10-30 minutes but dns rotation must
>> allow for them so if same hits I no longer notice.

The "new" DNS system changed that in the fall of 2007:

        http://news.ntppool.org/2007/10/the-pool-is-100-on-the-new-dns.html

Unless your server is in the .tr pool it won't be served to clients from that
country if they're asking for a "default zone".  (If they ask for for example
europe.pool.ntp.org explicitly it's different).

>  For the curious :
>
>  A long time ago we (in .nl) and some others, volunteered our ntp
>  server for the .tr domain ; traffic has been a steady 1000+ hits
>  per second ever since.

Our theory is that some end user equipment used by TTnet subscribers is polling
the pool (and often).

I was seriously considering just turning off service to any (DNS server) coming
from .tr; but Henk, Koos, Vincent Schonau and Anssi Johansson stepped up and
volunteered their servers to servicing that country.

Someone at ttnet added some of their routers as NTP servers to the pool some
months back, but of course they stop answering NTP requests and "fall out"
almost as soon as they're back in the pool.  :-)

If you think it'd be fun to get lots of NTP requests then please email me and I
will add your server to the tr zone (like Henk did).  It doesn't matter where
in the world you are.   I think it'd be good for the current server operators
to get a little help!

 - ask