On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>

>> there's some precedent (not a lot) for using a separator other than space
>> for this purpose, often a comma since it happens to be neutral to the
>> shell.  as in:
>>
>> --optionlist=foo,bar,baz
>>

> Yup. A comma separated list is actually what POPT uses for its Bloom filter
> implementation, where a series of comma separated strings
> are parsed as keys into a set container for arbitrary opaque strings
> that can be used/testsed through a set membership mechanism.
>
> Implemented here
>       #define POPT_ARG_BITSET         16U+14U /*!< arg ==> bit set *
> where arg is a comma separated set of strings.
>
> There really isn't any guidance on a "standard" compliant solution.

It wouldn't be impossibly hard to add
        POPT_ARGFLAG_COMMALIOST
as an option modifier permitted into POPT_ARG_ARGV/POPT_ARG_BITSET
and just add a split sloop for strings passed to those options.

todo++ … but likely months before releasing POPT with POPT_ARGFLAG_COMMALIST,
and years before any distro bothers to upgrade POPT, judging from
RHEL6's and Fedora's "Fork y'all!" insistence to never use any
code I've touched (both RHEL6/Fedora continute with popt-1.13
years after release.)

73 de Je

POPT Library                                           http://rpm5.org
Developer Communication List                       popt-devel@rpm5.org