On Mon, Aug 10, 2026, at 5:15 PM, Dan Mahoney (Ports) wrote:
> Dan,
>
> This feels worthwhile.  We also run a daily pkg-audit on our whole 
> fleet at the dayjob.
>
> I think this is something that should be possible to continue to use 
> the existing functionality in pkg, but add an additional knob to the 
> shipped periodic-script to specify a post-process filter that you'd 
> specify in periodic.conf, that way you don't add any additional 
> dependencies to pkg itself, if you want to add in an xmlparser or just 
> a simple grep script, or whatnot.
>
> If that feels reasonable to you, and you think bapt would be interested 
> in picking up the fairly simple change to the periodic script, this is 
> probably the most base-compatible way to do everything?

A solution which is simple (and optional for the user) is likely to be accepted.

> On the actual filter, ideally you'd want to filter based on either port 
> name, or a specific vuln-id (either the CVE number or the FreeBSD XML 
> entry).  This is a few lines of perl but possibly also sed or awk.

I will use the names contained within /var/db/pkg/vuln.xml:

For me, I'm happy to start filtering by `vid`.  If it's just as easy to filter
by `cvename great`. pkg-audit supplies both values.

>
> -Dan
>
>> On Aug 10, 2026, at 1:27 PM, Dan Langille <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> I use periodic/security/410.pkg-audit as part of a Nagios reporting tool. 
>> This monitoring check lets me know when a particular host has a vuln. I have 
>> used it, or something like it, for years.
>> 
>> Alert fatigue is a real issue. Sometimes it takes months for given known 
>> vuln to be fixed. In the meantime, a sea of red covers the Nagios page 
>> making it difficult to see new / other vulns.
>> 
>> My goal: selectively silence a vuln.
>> 
>> Background: Back in April, I posted about this issue on Mastodon.  One 
>> solution, for ignoring vulns on a given port, worked.  
>> https://bsd.network/web/@[email protected]/115925654143396302
>> 
>> However, now I want to modify this approach and ignore a list of vulns.
>> 
>> In short, alter 410.pkg-audit to use a user-specified file and to ignore 
>> upon any vulns specified in that file.
>> 
>> My short idea:
>> 
>> 1 - use the --file option on pkg-audit
>> 2 - using /var/db/pkg/vuln.xml as input, remove the vuln you don't want to 
>> see
>> 3 - output the results to a new file, say: /var/db/pkg/vuln-filtered.xml
>> 4 - run pkg-audit -f /var/db/pkg/vuln-filtered.xml
>> 
>> For step 2, the file is XML and I'm sure there are many tools to choose from 
>> which will delete based on vid in this:
>> 
>> 6d3488ae-2e0f-11f1-88c7-00a098b42aeb
>> 0be929a5-2e0f-11f1-88c7-00a098b42aeb
>> 
>> I'm posting in the hopes that someone takes up this challenge and codes 
>> something up. I'm happy to test, but can't do the coding.
>> 
>> -- 
>>  Dan Langille
>>  [email protected]

-- 
  Dan Langille
  [email protected]

Reply via email to