> PORTS WITH NATIVE DEPENDENCIES
> ==============================
>
> Ports that require native platform support are a different matter.
>
> Right now we have explicit ports dependencies on the Sun JDK tool chain
> in the ports that are built from source.

With respect to building packages from source the most compatiable
JDK is selected (Sun's). I don't intend to change that or add flavors
to have them built from open-source JDK's.

> This creates an a problem for *alternative* tool chains.  For example,
> after some fumbling around I can fake out our Eclipse package, which has
> explicit dependencies on the Sun JDK, and run it on classpath, jamvm,
> and cacao.

Ian and I have been working on this recently. Our intent to
to expand the RUN_DEPENDS in java.port.mk to allow alternative
tool chains to be used to run applications.

> To the best of my knowledge there is not way way to tell the ports
> system "make sure a 1.4.2 JVM is installed."  (This would be a
> categorical dependency, rather than a dependency on a specific version
> or series of versions.)
>
> The good news is that our JDK built binaries are perfectly compatible
> with these alternative tools.  (The FUD about compatibility issues is
> just that.)  There is no reason why I should have to hack a package to
> use its native binaries and jars.
>
> Tool chain dependencies are the most significant issue in my opinion.

In addition to expanding RUN_DEPENDS we also working on
unifying java application startup scripts so that things
just work for the alternative jvms too.

I'm not sure if these things will make it for 4.0 yet.

-Kurt