viq wrote:
On 05/11/06, Robert Nagy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the meantime I've had a discussion with Kurt and
we are leaving the 1.3+ dependency.

You mean db-java, right?
Also, does this form of dependency, 1.3+, is going to accept 1.4 or
1.5, or it only means that both say 1.3.1 and 1.3.27 are going to
work?

So, for now it is going to stay that way:
/usr/ports/editors/openoffice:123>$ make full-all-depends | sort
<...>
jasper-1.701.0p1
javaPathHelper-0.2p0
jdk-1.3.1p7
jdk-1.4.2p9
jdk-linux-1.3.1_16p0
jpeg-6bp3
<...>
?

We want to provide as much functionality as we can by default.

Yup, I can certainly understand that. I guess what I'm asking is
whether the same functionality can be achieved while having less than
all possible versions of java installed on the system ;)

If you are building ports you may get unexpected build depends. That's
just the way it goes. Remember the goal is to create quality packages,
not faster builds. Once db-java is available via snapshots, you can get
away building OOo with just devel/jdk/1.4 by installing it before the
db-java package.