> > Stop in /usr/local/src/bacula-1.38.11/src/stored.
>
> It looks to me like the OS' header file is badly broken -- at least in the
> sense that if it is a Unix system, both mt_fileno and mt_blkno should be
> defined in the struct mtget.
>
> Someone should fix the OS, barring that we will need a patch.

Kern, Rus, et al:

We have to be really careful with regard how we word things here.  The
way you assert that could be easily misinterpreted or misconstrued to
have a vendor-bashing tone.

Moreover, conceding the unavailability of compatibility with the OpenBSD
platform doesn't gain us any additional users; a very large group of
talented individuals with tremendous experience writing highly secure,
reliable, and _portable_ code who could contribute greatly to the
project.

-- To set the record straight, and encourage mutual cooperation --

The reality here is that OpenBSD is very selective about where it
focuses its development efforts, and the st(4) driver is not one of
those places.

Therefore, the assertion that "The OS is broken" is not correct, it
simply hasn't been implemented or maintained as it should.

Before I go on and make my own silly assertions, I should note: '

   Things are always subject to change, and this is F/OSS and you're
   always welcome to do the work yourself or have corporate sponsorship.

OpenBSD is not the platform for a Bacula director.  You wont see it (at
present) driving a 5-LTO3-drive, 2000 tape, 1000+ Terabyte StorageTek
Powderhorn Tape Silo connected via Brocade FC switches.(1)

However you will see it at the perimeter and on the wire keeping the
packet kiddies from stealing all of your customers data.  It could be
the ideal system for the job with features like enhanced crypto
acceleration via crypto(9) and the existing improvements on scsi(4) and
recent HBA support.

Anyway, not a director, not now at least, and probably not a SD Storage
Daemon either.

But most definitely a management console and file daemon.

Russel: You'll probably notice that Bacula builds perfectly fine up
until it gets to the director, then you get into OS-specific kernel
knits and hooks where either OpenBSD lacks the framework/API (pthreads,
st(4), etc.) or kernel-specific code needs to be added to Bacula.

In the mean time, we should endeavor to create a "bacula-clientonly"
Port in OpenBSD ports, or "bacula" port with a "clientonly" flavor.

This has been done before, but the work was never commited (CC:)

1. http://www.arsc.edu/resources/silo.html

I will take the lead on this if I have to.

~BAS